Kinsey Confidential

QUESTION: I have recently noticed some "pimple-like" bumps at the base of my penis. I don't think that it could be an STD since I have not had intercourse in about nine months. I was wondering what these might be, and what I might do to get rid of them. Thanks. \nANSWER: Thanks for your question. Of course, we cannot diagnose the bumps you've noticed on your penis, but we can provide some information about sexually transmitted infections that can cause bumps on men's and women's genital skin. This might help you feel informed when you go to a healthcare provider so he or she can provide a specific diagnosis for you. \nThe human papillomavirus (HPV) is one common STI that can cause genital warts. There are about 100 strains of this virus and only a few strains are related to HPV. Though warts often take as long as three to eight months to appear after a person has been infected with one of these HPV strains, a person might never notice the bumps or warts at all. Other times the bumps look more like pimples or infected hair follicles than actual warts, so men and women might not seek medical attention. \nIn some cases, a healthcare provider will take a sample of the skin (a skin biopsy) and send it to a lab to confirm whether it is indeed HPV. In other instances, he or she might make a diagnosis based solely on the bump's appearance and might try treating it (there are various options for treating it, though sometimes healthcare providers suggest leaving it alone as some bumps and warts go away on their own). \nThe herpes virus can also cause various genital skin symptoms, but these typically look more like sores than bumps. Of course there are several other reasons (other than STIs) that a person might develop bumps on their genital skin. These reasons can include infected hair follicles, a sensitivity or allergic reaction to products like soap or bath gels, or even razor burn. \nIn other words, don't assume the worst if you happen to notice bumps on your genitals. That said, we do encourage you to make an appointment with a healthcare provider if you notice anything unusual about the look or feel of your genitals. One of the benefits of taking the time to look at and become familiar with your genitals (and even your partner's genitals) is that you can develop a sense of what is normal for you and seek the advice of a healthcare provider in instances when you notice that something is different. You can learn more about STIs (including HPV and herpes) and other sexual health matters on the KISISS Web site.