Kinsey Confidential

QUESTION: I recently had intercourse with a girl and used a condom with spermicidal lubrication. After ejaculation, I withdrew and saw that the condom had started to come off (about halfway). She has given me no indication that she was ovulating, but her vagina did feel slippery afterward (though that could've been the lube). How likely is pregnancy here? \nANSWER: It is impossible to provide a precise estimate of the likelihood of pregnancy based on these circumstances. However, we can provide information that can help you learn more about what increases or decreases risk. \nIn order for a woman to become pregnant, a few things need to happen. First, she needs to ovulate (release an egg). Second, that egg (which is only alive and in circulation in her body for about 12 to 24 hours) needs to be fertilized by sperm (which can usually survive in a woman's body for 1 to 3 days, though a few might be able to survive for as long as 5 to 7 days). Even once an egg is fertilized by sperm, a woman is not yet considered "pregnant" until the fertilized egg has traveled to the uterus and implanted itself into the nourishing lining of the uterus. \nThere are many ways that people try to prevent or reduce their risk of pregnancy. Many people avoid genital contact (intercourse or outercourse) such that sperm do not get anywhere inside the vagina or even close to the opening of the vagina, as sperm can travel inside the vagina and fertilize an egg. One popular method of birth control -- particularly among college students -- is the birth control pill which reduces the risk of pregnancy by preventing a woman's body from releasing an egg. \nYou and your partner chose to use condoms, which are also commonly used among college students. Used alone, condoms are about 80 to 90 percent effective in reducing pregnancy risk when used correctly and consistently (read: every time you have sex). Spermicide adds additional prevention in that it kills sperm, though some women find that spermicide irritates their vagina or vulva (a woman's external genitals, like the labia and clitoris). \nIf the condom slipped down a little bit but did not come off of your penis and the ejaculate stayed inside of the condom, then it is unlikely that your partner would get pregnant. This is because if ejaculate did not get inside of her vagina, she would not be at risk for pregnancy. \nWhile vaginal "slipperiness" can indicate that a woman has recently or is about to ovulate, it can also be the lubricant from the condom or her own vaginal lubrication that occurs during sexual arousal. In addition, it is healthy and normal for a woman to have some amount of vaginal discharge throughout her menstrual cycle, so there is almost always some degree of wetness that one might feel. \nIf you are curious about whether she has taken any other measures to prevent pregnancy (e.g., if she uses another birth control method like birth control pills or if she obtained emergency contraception -- a.k.a. the "morning after pill" -- following sex with you), ask her. \nUnintended pregnancy -- like the risk for infection -- can be a worrisome part of being sexual. Many people find it helpful to take time to make careful decisions about contraception, physical intimacy, emotional readiness for sex, and partner choice. Communicating with your partner about your plans and concerns related to pregnancy and infection risk reduction can make the decision to be sexual less worrisome. For additional information about contraception, emergency contraception (which is highly effective at preventing pregnancy if taken within 72 hours after unprotected sex) and correct condom use, visit www.plannedparenthood.org or the KISISS Web site at www.indiana.edu/~kisiss.