Behind the scenes of a radio show

An Altman 'Companion'

Director Robert Altman and I used to be bitter enemies. Our introduction was the banal "Gosford Park" and was followed-up by films such as "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" and "3 Women" -- all of which did nothing for me. Yet, in the spring of 2006, a good friend told me I just hadn't seen the right Altman films, lending me "M*A*S*H" and "The Long Goodbye," plus the recommendation of "The Player." I proceeded to watch all three and was convinced I had pegged Altman wrong. So when opening night came for his latest achievement, "A Prairie Home Companion," I was there. \n"Companion" is the perfect material for a director obsessed with overlapping conversations and chaos confined to a single room or building. In this case, the chaos of a live radio show where a live audience applauds wildly serves Altman, but it isn't the audience's conversations we're hearing. It's all the personalities, musicians and technicians worth lending an ear toward. \nThe film is a fictional take on radio host Garrison Keillor's famed program of the same name up in Minnesota. Keillor's screenplay brings together an excellent cast, a legendary director and a slew of warm folk songs. I wouldn't say there is necessarily a story to the movie, but a series of performance pieces, behind-the-scenes chatter, a man (Tommy Lee Jones) who's come to town to shut down the radio show and a very loose detective yarn involving Guy Noir (Kevin Kline) and a mysterious blonde in a white trench coat (Virginia Madsen). All these people know it is their last show, but it sure doesn't feel like it. \nIn addition to those folks are many other recognizable faces. Meryl Streep and Altman alumna Lily Tomlin play sisters Yolanda and Rhonda Johnson respectively, with Lindsay Lohan in tow as Yolanda's daughter, Lola. Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly play cowboys Dusty and Lefty, men with a penchant for bad jokes. The performances of these five are the stand-out scenes in the movie thanks to memorable songs and witty banter. \nSince "Companion" cuts through many of the songs to show what is going on backstage, the first supplement on the DVD is to see those performances unedited, all of which are impressive and humorous, especially in the case of Keillor's numerous commercial spots. In addition there is a commentary track with Altman and Kline going back and forth, yet I wish Keillor was included since Altman often remarks that it is Keillor's film more than his own. \nKeillor's commentary absence is made up for though in an hour-long making-of documentary, which is an excellent introduction to his show, his material and the assembly of a great cast for an even greater film. \nWhile he never actually speaks in the doc, it is important to make mention of the numerous appearances by director Paul Thomas Anderson ("Magnolia," "Boogie Nights"). PTA was handpicked by Altman to be his stand-by director, considering the auteur is now 81 years of age, and would've taken over the project had Altman passed away during the filming. They are often seen together, laughing and smiling, and I can only imagine the conversations between master and apprentice. \n"A Prairie Home Companion" is one of the best films I've seen so far this year, a remark I never thought I'd make considering the rocky start I had with Robert Altman. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a theatre, and I'm glad to finally have a copy so I can feel the same way at home.