UConn defensive back arrested, dismissed from team Thursday

Starting safety forced fumble, tallied 5 tackles in Huskies' first loss

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut safety Marvin Taylor has been thrown off the football team following his arrest on larceny charges.\nUConn coach Randy Edsall said Thursday he was clarifying the school's position after a statement released Wednesday saying Taylor had been suspended indefinitely from the team, which plays Indiana Saturday.\n"As always, with all of our football student-athletes, when they become involved with actions that are detrimental to the program, university and themselves, we gather information as quickly and accurately as we can before making any final decision on disciplinary action that would be put into place," he said. "On Friday, Sept. 15, I was given some preliminary information that later did not prove to be accurate. Once I got the full and accurate information, I took what I consider to be the appropriate action, which is to dismiss Marvin Taylor from the football program."\nThe arrest was Taylor's second in just over a year.\nThe 6-foot junior from New Brunswick, N.J., turned himself in Friday after learning of a warrant for his arrest. Police accused Taylor of obtaining a credit card number and using it for several purchases without the owner's consent. He was charged with sixth-degree larceny, a misdemeanor and illegal use of a credit card.\nA day after his arrest, Taylor started in UConn's 24-13 home loss to Wake Forest. He had 5 1/2 tackles and forced a fumble.\nTaylor was one of five players arrested in a pellet-gun shooting outside a Willimantic convenience store in May 2005. Charges against two players were dismissed. Taylor and two other teammates were granted accelerated rehabilitation, a program for first-time offenders. Charges against them would be dismissed if they successfully completed two years of probation. Taylor's latest arrest could affect his probationary status.\nThe Huskies will play IU Saturday at Memorial Stadium.