The long arm of J-board

WE SAY: IU's penalties for off-campus infractions are appropriate

In the first 2 1/2 weeks of the semester, police arrested or cited 150 students for various offenses related to alcohol consumption. Their cases are currently making their way through Monroe County's justice system, but students will soon have to face justice from IU as well. According to Part II, Section H 26 of the Code of Student Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities, the University may discipline a student for any violation of Indiana or federal law. Students charged with violating this code will be scheduled a judicial conference where they will face anything from a warning to special judicial sanctions to expulsion from the University. \nAlthough it might seem unfair that students have to face a University judicial board at the same time they face the government's criminal justice system, we here at the editorial board feel such a system is appropriate.\nBy living in this town and going to this school, students accept responsibilities as well as rights. One of those responsibilities is to be a positive member of the community and not engage in conduct that disrupts the academic process. Many of those caught for alcohol violations conducted themselves in a way that was dangerous not only to themselves but also to the University as a whole. Students are here to learn and grow as people, not party animals.\nAdditionally, the goals of the county justice system and the University's system are different. The Monroe County justice system focuses on holding people accountable and using standard guidelines for punishment. The University, on the other hand, seems to handle things on a case-by-case basis. The goal is education, not punishment. We feel that IU wants its students to be successful, and the disciplinary system has been set up with that in mind.\nAs evidence of its commitment to reforming students' behavior, the University has a wide array of possible disciplinary sanctions available. A reprimand, restitution (if damage is involved), participation in a specific type of program and alcohol counseling are all possibilities for those caught drinking. \nRegardless of what sanctions the University decides to hand down, it is important to remember why the system exists in the first place. First and foremost, you are here to get an education. We realize everyone likes to have a good time, but it is important to not let those good times get out of control. If you are intoxicated to the point where you are vomiting or passed out somewhere, clearly the University needs to step in.\nThe bottom line is that students are members of two communities while they are here: IU and Bloomington. Off-campus rambunctiousness reflects poorly on IU and has the potential to put a strain on University-town relations. That is not good for anyone and would erode the experiences all students receive while here.\nSo think before you act. Otherwise you will have to pay the pied piper -- both of them.