Not worth running to the store for

Audioslave and Jadakiss should cut one massive, tepid album together. They'd have plenty of common ground: both talents reel in critical acclaim for obvious skill, yet neither artist has dropped discs to match that skill. The Rage Against The Machine-meets-Soundgarden mash-up wails on both vocals and guitars, but none of the new tracks on Revelations raises my pulse.\nChris Cornell's lyrics sweep across bland self-denial as usual, but for the first time, he touches the political river of fire that was Zach de la Roche's lyrics. Cornell should throw himself at that third rail, that electric political activism that lights up Rage albums. Mixed with his distinct rough-shot voice, socio-politics could give him the fire necessary to slay Audioslave's doldrums.\nGuitar solos lick off at the lightening pace Tom Morello fans know, but the verses and choruses bore compared to albums past. Still, he's an upper echelon guitarist, a true talent for the ages. Bass player Tim Commerford provides subtle highlights when he diverges from Morello, just like on the band's previous cut, Out of Exile. I hope he gets a chance to shine more individually before the band nosedives into the supergroup death spiral.\nThe hope I held that Audioslave would emerge as something new and interesting is waning at a quickening pace. Still I'm glad I have the album, since pure rock is rare right now. Sure, Sufjan Stevens rules, but I still need some screaming hard rock sometimes.\nIf you loved the past efforts, this disk is worth $10. Intrigued, but not impressed before now? Leave this on the shelf ... or in the supercomputer at iTunes headquarters .. or just don't take the time to steal it.