New podcast options won't replace classes

Professors use technology as a supplement

Though University Information Technology Services has brought podcasts to IU students and faculty, going to class will not become a thing of the past. Not all classes will use them, and they are not meant to supplant lectures, said Podcast Project Manager Martin Wagner and several professors.\nUITS is creating and providing podcasts for a fee as part of continuing efforts to keep IU up-to-date on new technologies, Wagner said in an e-mail. Interested users can subscribe to class podcasts by going to Oncourse and copying a feed into music programs like iTunes and GarageBand. Podcasts will then download through that program and be available for transfer onto an iPod.\nWagner emphasized that no one intends for these podcasts to replace actual class lectures. Instead, he said, they exist "to add value to the course."\nAlan Dennis, Kelley School of Business professor and John T. Chambers Chair in Internet Systems, said in an e-mail that he began using podcasts in one class last semester. He said several students in his data communications class told him they found the podcasts useful and encouraged him to continue using them.\nHowever, Dennis said he only used the podcasts to support his lectures and did not replace class time with podcasted material.\n"I view podcasting as a supplement to the class," Dennis said. "I just record the audio from every class and post it in the Oncourse podcast section."\nWagner also pointed out that podcasts are not automatically used in every class. He said few academic podcasts would be available to students not enrolled in the class in which they are used.\n"The access to the podcasts is decided by the professor and the dean of the school," Wagner said. "A podcast is an additional course material provided to the students ... (deans) can choose to limit access with Oncourse, or make it public."\nIU School of Journalism professor Claude Cookman, who teaches visual communication, said he does not believe these podcasts could effectively replace classroom lectures. He said he believes hands-on learning and student interaction are too important to learning, especially in creative classes.\n"Podcasts wouldn't really work in a class like (visual communication) because we try to do a lot of active learning in class, where we're doing buzz groups, we're doing discussion," Cookman said. "If you just ... heard a recording, as a student, you wouldn't get anything out of it."\nCookman said he believes learning is a "social activity." He said he believes using podcasts in place of lectures would not be beneficial to students' understanding of subject matter.\n"There needs to be a direct exchange between student and teacher, and between student and student, and you don't get that in a podcast," Cookman said. \nDennis agreed and encouraged students to really try to "absorb" the material contained in his podcasts.\n"I don't think podcasts should replace classes, at least not the way I teach," Dennis said. "It's not the same as sitting in class actively participating." \nJunior Rachel Adelman said she thought podcasts could replace lectures, but she didn't think it would actually happen. She said she didn't think it would be beneficial to students.\n"I don't think anything you could get from a podcast would be as valuable as actually being in class where you can ask questions and be involved in a discussion," Adelman said. "I don't think you can learn as much from a podcast as you would from class lectures."\nBut Adelman said she thought having podcasts to complement lectures would be a good study tool.\n"I would probably use them as an extra way to study," Adelman said. "They would be really good because sometimes you can't get everything into your notes, so if there is another way to get the information you need for class, it could help you learn the information better."\nWagner pointed out that students and student organizations can create their own podcasts. UITS will provide software to those who wish to create the programs on their own.\nHe also said UITS offers to create these programs for a fee and does not limit its service simply to professors or for class lectures. He said the UITS Support Center is available for help in subscribing to the podcasts and technical help in downloading them.\nWagner said he believes bringing podcasts to IU is another part of the University's continuing initiative to bring new technologies to campus.\n"Indiana University is known for taking the lead in information technology, research and development, life sciences and the arts," Wagner said. "Podcasts are one way Indiana University is maintaining its lead in information technology"