IUSA to use freshmen as interns

Executives, directors to be used as mentors

The IU Student Association has selected 13 freshmen for its 2006 Fall Freshman Internship Program. \nWith the help of these interns, IUSA will be able to "extend its reach to become an all-encompassing body," said Phillip Smith, IUSA chief of operations and intern coordinator. \nTypically, Smith said most students are unaware of IUSA until their sophomore year or later. The internship program will get freshmen involved in the organization on the ground level while providing them with a wide exposure to the University, Smith said. \nEach intern has been assigned an IUSA executive or director who will serve as their mentor. Under the guidance of their mentor, interns will act as a liaison between IUSA and two to three student groups.\n"(The work done by these interns) will allow IUSA to be in more than one place at one time," Smith said. \nThe program was designed to cultivate leadership skills that will be useful in any organization these freshman interns become involved with in the future, Smith said. IUSA hopes this program will help develop future leaders not only for itself but also for the Union Board, Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council, IU Dance Marathon and many other influential organizations on campus. \nAs far as the current IUSA administration is aware, this is the first time IUSA has offered an internship program, Smith said. IUSA executives decided to create an internship program during a conference for the Association of Big Ten Students after being inspired by a similar program at Ohio State. \nFreshman Michelle Landis is one of the 13 new interns. She said she applied for the program because she thought it would be a great way to get involved and find out what IU is about. \n"It will let me meet more people and learn more about student government and leadership," Landis said.