Hoosiers begin Big Ten Season at home versus Wolverines

Freitag calls game first step to bring back title

After a non-conference schedule full of ups and downs, the IU men's soccer team kicks off the Big Ten season against Michigan on Sunday.\nInconsistent play has plagued the Hoosiers (4-3-1) so far this year. In the early going, the cream and crimson rose to No. 9 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America's poll, but three losses in a four-game stretch dropped the Hoosiers from the rankings.\nThe Hoosiers rebounded Wednesday with a 2-0 victory against No. 21 University of Akron, the fifth ranked opponent the team has faced this season in eight games.\nDespite disappointing results, playing such a difficult schedule will help the team the rest of the season, junior defender Charley Traylor said.\n"I think we should go into the conference season with a lot of confidence because of the opponents we have played," he said. "I think that it's only going to help us later in the season and into the playoffs because our level of play is raising every game."\nThe Wolverines (5-4-1) come into Bill Armstrong Stadium having won four of their last five matches, including a win at No. 14 University of Kentucky. Despite a mediocre overall record, IU coach Mike Freitag said the team cannot overlook the talented Michigan team.\n"I don't think their record indicates how good of a team they are," Freitag said. "They've had some losses, but people I've talked to said they are a very good team."\nEvery team in college soccer, especially in the Big Ten, is capable of beating anyone, Freitag said.\n"It doesn't get any easier because there is parity in college soccer across the board," he said. "You've got to be ready and play to your potential every game. That's what I expect us to do."\nThe Wolverines are led by freshman forward Peri Marosevic, who has netted a team-high five goals this season.\nThe Hoosiers have never lost to Michigan in nine match-ups, outscoring the Wolverines 30-4,, but the team will not take the Wolverines lightly despite overwhelming success against Michigan in the past, said senior midfielder Josh Tudela.\n"Michigan is the first Big Ten game, and that is always a hard game," he said. "We are looking to go out and play our best to get a good outcome."\nGetting a victory will be important for the Hoosiers' quest to regain the Big Ten championship. The team had trouble closing out conference games last year and ended the Big Ten regular season with a record of 2-1-3 and a third-place finish.\nA loss in the conference tournament to Penn State last year meant the Hoosiers failed to win either the regular season or tournament title for the first time since the Big Ten added soccer in 1991. The team wants to regain its supremacy over the conference, Freitag said, and a win against Michigan is the first step in regaining both titles.\n"The Big Ten is going to be very important to us this year," he said. "Our goal is to win the regular season Big Ten, get the bye and win the Big Ten Tournament so we can get the automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament"