Trice's sophomore album leaves potential untapped

Apparently, the general public just doesn't understand Obie Trice.\nObie is quoted on his official Web site as saying, "I just want them to get an idea of the things that go on in Obie Trice's head and see who I am ..."\nWell, his fans get a chance to see just that on his sophomore album, Second Round's on Me. The second album continues Obie's "bar theme" and follows up his platinum debut, Cheers.\nSimply put, the thing that makes Obie's rap style effective is when he goes against the grain. He has several songs on his new album that are so generically gangsta it's painful.\nFor example, you know how you'll see "Scarface" memorabilia in every rapper's homes while watching MTV's 'Cribs'? Obie takes it a step further when he samples a "Scarface" quote in his appropriately titled song, "Kill Me a Mutha". The sample has so much swearing it would make Richard Pryor blush.\nBut Obie makes up for his stubborn rap songs with stimulating tracks such as "Wanna Know," which features a great Van Halen sample that gives the song a distinctive edge. You might have even heard the song before if you have HBO - "Wanna Know" was featured on an episode of "Entourage" last season.\nWhile recovering from a gunshot wound to the head earlier this year after being shot in a drive-by, Obie recorded "Cry Now," an emotional song declaring himself the king of rap in Detroit. He sings in the song, "the white boy stepped down, so I will accept the crown," a reference to his friend Eminem's retirement from rap.\nThe first single, "Snitch," is a song with Soul-Survivor Akon. Although it's been received with popular reviews, the song will never make MTV or similar companies because of the song's obvious anti-snitch agenda. This leads me to believe MTV could very well be snitching. And there's nothing we all hate more than a snitch. Or maybe that's just me.\nSecond Round's on Me takes a soulful turn when Obie recruits help from Trey Songz in two tracks, including "Ghetto". Songz could easily be mistaken for a gospel-singing R. Kelly and the song adds depth to the album's occasional dull hooks.\nTwo of Obie's more famous friends lend their voices to the album as well. 50 Cent sings the chorus on "Everywhere I Go," while Eminem has an impressive verse on "There They Go". Apparently, everyone Obie Trice knows has somewhere to go.\nSecond Round's On Me concludes with "Obie's Story". The song is centered around Obie bringing home a good report card, so his mother rewards him by purchasing him a new pair of shoes. But before you can ask, "Nikes or Reeboks?" gunshots fire off in the background, Obie's killing people, he hates his mother and he's screaming.\nThe last song on the album is symbolic to Obie's entire second album. At times, Obie shows he has as much potential as his friends, with his unique voice and impressive rhymes. But then Obie turns his back to his talent, and starts rapping about guns, money and drugs.\nHopefully, for his fans' sakes, that isn't what Obie's all about.