It's never to early to start drinking

Well, it's kind of difficult to review live albums. Personally, I'm not really a fan of live albums. I would much rather go to the show personally and experience the band firsthand. But I realize that this isn't always possibly, especially with bands that aren't around anymore (like the Clash). Anyway, I'm rambling. I haven't even told you what's being reviewed yet. Flogging Molly have been on the top of their game for several years now, and they don't plan on stopping anytime soon. The band has followed up their brilliant 2004 release Within A Mile Of Home with a new album entitled Whiskey on a Sunday. Four acoustic tracks, five live tracks, and a brand spanking new studio track. \nThis isn't Flogging Molly's first live album. Their first release ever was Alive Behind the Green Door, a live set they did in Los Angeles way back in 1997. Since then, they have put out three hugely successful studio albums and have toured intensely around the globe. Flogging Molly are a special blend of Irish folk and California punk, taking a nod from pioneers the Pogues, but sounding like their punk peers the Dropkick Murphys. \n"Laura" (the new track) is solid Flogging Molly, complete with soaring fiddles, pounding drums and gritty Irish vocals. This isn't one of their best, but a good ballad nevertheless. \nThe acoustic tracks are slowed-down versions of the originals, putting an interesting spin on things. The live songs capture the spirit of the band's performance, and the quality is very slick as far as live songs go. "Black Friday Rule" is a real jam song, spanning almost 12 minutes in length. The energy, however, can only really be achieved by actually seeing them (I've seen 'em live…they're a blast). \nWhat redeems this album is that it's accompanied by a bonus DVD. It's a full length documentary, following the band into the studio, at home and on tour. Interviews tell the story of the band and the individual members, weaving in tour and studio footage. The live bits are well shot, recorded in seven different countries and give you a feel for what it's like to see the band close-up. There are also two full live songs in the bonus features.\nIf you're not an avid fan of the band, this probably isn't the best place to start. Check out Drunken Lullabies or Swagger first. But for the fans, this is a real treat. The CD is the real bonus disc here; you'll want to take in the DVD, one of the better music documentaries out there.