Legette-Jack focuses on biggest recruit

Hours before boarding a plane to Memphis on a recruiting trip, IU head women's basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack had her complete attention focused on a local recruit. \n"Our biggest recruit is the community's support," Legette-Jack said. \nLegette-Jack was out recruiting her prized prospect last Friday at the "Meet, Greet and Eat" with IU women's basketball, sponsored by the IU Credit Union. \nNearly 500 fans, the team's entire coaching staff and several Hoosier players attended the event, which was held at the Credit Union's 17th Street branch. The "Meet, Greet and Eat" gave the Bloomington community a chance to meet the new coach for the Hoosiers. \n"This is just a chance for us to touch the fans and let them know how much we appreciate them," Legette-Jack said. "They are our sixth man." \nLegette-Jack joined IU's staff earlier this year after previously coaching at Hofstra University. When comparing the two school's programs and support Legette-Jack joked it was like, "comparing apples and oranges." \nIU's Assistant Director of Marketing Megan Allen helped organized the "Meet, Greet and Eat" along with the IU Credit Union and Legette-Jack. Allen was extremely impressed with the new head coach and her immediate impact on the community. \n"I absolutely admire Coach Jack's enthusiasm and passion for the sport and the program," Allen said. "She is very positive and her energy is contagious. I feel that those who are going to be around her are excited about Indiana basketball." \nAllen also described the cookout as a "huge success," saying she was very pleased with the turnout. \nSeveral of the IU players in attendance were also impressed with the event's attendance and the community rallying around them. \n"It's great to see all of this support," senior Sarah McKay said. "It's great to have the community behind us and see everybody." \nAlthough official practice hasn't started yet, McKay and others are excited for the upcoming season due to Legette-Jack's personality. \n"She brings so much energy," McKay said of Legette-Jack. "Everyone has jumped on board. All I want to do right now is go and play Purdue." \nMcKay's sophomore teammate, Bloomington native Whitney Thomas, echoed McKay's sentiments. \n"Coach has so much energy and brings so much passion to the team," Thomas said. "I think she is going to turn the program around and bring it to the next level." \nDuring the cookout, countless IU fans introduced themselves to Legette-Jack and shared their support and encouragement. \n"I'm really excited," said IU fan Doris Sims during the cookout. "I can't wait to be behind the basket this year cheering the Hoosiers on." \nWhen Legette-Jack took the job at IU she wasn't a complete stranger to the Hoosier program. In fact, she was even familiar with a couple of the players already on the roster. \n"I had watched the kids on film before and I just thought that there was so much potential," Legette-Jack said. "I love working with kids. Working with them can be so special and it lets me spread my family wings."\nLegette-Jack and the rest of IU's basketball staff are hoping that three little words will help them land their one big recruit.\n"We've got three words we like to use around here: 'Yes you can"