IU delegation to visit China

IU Interim Provost Michael McRobbie departed Saturday leading a University delegation to China in order to encourage cooperation between IU and the growing nation. \nWhile in the country, McRobbie and the delegation are expect to tour several of China's universities, have talks with government officials and meet with alumni. \n"I think there is recognition (of China) becoming a major global player," said Patrick O'Meara, dean for international programs, who has recently represented IU in trips to Taiwan and Japan. "As we have significant connections to China the provost will hope to build on these and explore new directions (for IU and China to cooperate)." \nTechnology is one of the main topics expected to be discussed during the trip as the University hopes to sign an agreement with Tsinghua University to expand collaborative efforts involving information technology initiatives, according to a press release. \nIn addition, visits to other universities including Peking University in Beijing, Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China and Fudan University in Shanghai, China are on the delegation's agenda, with potential partnerships and life science research being the main areas to be addressed. \n"The aim really is symmetric. It's looking to build opportunities for study or service abroad for our students across a variety of disciplines in the world's largest country and the world's most dynamically growing economy," McRobbie said in a statement. "We also want to expand the opportunities to bring their best students and faculty here to study and work with IU researchers." \nStrengthening alumni relations overseas is another goal the delegation hopes to accomplish. According to the press release, two receptions will be held for IU alumni -- one in Beijing and the other in Shanghai. Personal meetings with alumni and friends of the University have also been set up. \nIU hopes the trip may even attract potential students based in China to become interested in attending the University, as these prospective freshmen will be invited to meet with members of the delegation, according to the press release. \nAs several delegations by IU officials have been made to East Asia during the past years, O'Meara said McRobbie representing the University is one of the highest-level visits IU has made to China. \nTo accompany McRobbie in the official visit will be Jim Williams, director of international networking, Shawn Reynolds, associate director of the Center for International Education Development Assistance, and Becky Wood, special assistant to the provost, according to the press release.