Federer wins 4th Wimbledon title

WIMBLEDON, England -- Nobody can stop Roger Federer on grass.\nNo. 1 got even against No. 2 as Federer ended a five-match losing streak to Rafael Nadal on Sunday, winning 6-0, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (2), 6-3 to earn his fourth straight Wimbledon title and eighth Grand Slam championship .\nNadal had beaten Federer in four finals this year, including at the French Open last month, but couldn't match him on the Swiss star's favorite surface.\nNot here, not in my house, not on Centre Court, not on the biggest stage in tennis. That was Federer's response to the 20-year-old \nSpaniard's challenge.\nAfter dropping the third set, the only set he lost all tournament, Federer lifted his game in the fourth to show who's boss.\nThe milestones keep piling up for the 24-year-old Federer, who strengthens the case for consideration as being among the greatest players of all time.\nIn winning his 48th consecutive match on grass, he became the third player in the Open era to capture four successive Wimbledon championships, joining Bjorn Borg (five straight from 1976-80) and Pete Sampras (1997-00).\n"They're heroes of the game," Federer said. "This is the most important tournament, and to win four is out of this world. I'll come back and try for a fifth."\nWhen Nadal sliced a backhand wide on match point, Federer raised his arms in the air, threw back his head and closed his eyes.\nAfter the two players embraced at the net, Federer slipped into his customized cream-colored blazer to receive the winner's trophy from the Duke of Kent.\nAsked about his rivalry with Nadal, he said, "Now I like \nit again."\nFederer is the eighth man in history to win four or more Wimbledon titles. William Renshaw and Sampras lead the list with seven championships, but Federer is on course to break the mark.\n"It's fantastic," he said. "I never thought it possible, but I made it. It's really an incredible feeling. I was doubting myself early on in the tournament, with the draw and the expectations. So to be through all over again and to play against Rafael in the finals is \nobviously fantastic."\nNadal came into Sunday's match with a 6-1 record against Federer . Federer's only losses this year have been to Nadal, he is 55-0 against everyone else.\nBut anyone who thought Nadal had gotten into Federer's mind was wrong on this day.\nFederer proved he's on another level on grass with his big serves, smooth strokes and quick hands. While Nadal, winner of a record 60 straight clay-court matches, surprised everybody by getting this far, his brutal, relentless game wasn't enough to take Federer out of his comfort zone.\n"This is a difficult surface," Nadal said. "But this year I played my best tournament here. It's unbelievable. I hope next year I don't play against one guy who plays like Roger. He played unbelievable on this surface."\nThe defeat ended Nadal's streak of victories in 14 \nconsecutive finals.\nIt wasn't quite up to the standard of Federer's near flawless performance in the semifinals against Jonas Bjorkman. Both players were almost even on winners, 43-42 for Federer, and Federer had more unforced errors than Nadal, 32 to 26.\nBut Federer could always count on his serve: He won 77 percent of points on first serve, compared to 68 percent for Nadal. Federer broke Nadal six times and lost serve three times.\nNadal was seeking to become only the second Spaniard to win the title. The only one to do it, 1966 champion Manolo Santana, was in the Royal Box for the occasion.\nThere was a real buzz in the stadium when the players arrived on court, Federer in his blazer and Nadal in his biceps-baring sleeveless white shirt. Nadal sprinted to the baseline and hopped up and down like a boxer before a \ntitle fight.\nBut Nadal looked lost in the first set, as Federer reeled off six straight games in 25 minutes. He broke Nadal three times and finished the set with two clean forehand winners. It was the first time Nadal had lost serve since the second round, and the first time he's dropped a set at love in 131 matches, since a defeat to Gaston Gaudio in Buenos Aires in February 2005.\nNadal bounced back quickly, breaking Federer in the opening game of the second set. He served for the set at 5-4, but was broken as Federer won 12 of 13 points at one stretch to force a tiebreaker.\nNadal had his chances again, going up 3-1 in the tiebreaker, but handed back the advantage with two errors. Federer went up 6-3, and, after missing two set-point chances, converted on the third.\nThere were no breaks in the third set. Federer played some loose points in the tiebreaker and, from 2-2, Nadal won five straight to win the set. He backpedaled and pumped his arms three times, then thumped his chest as he sat in his chair. Federer, meanwhile, went to the locker room for a break.\nFederer came back out and dominated most of the fourth set, going up two breaks at 5-1. Uncharacteristically, he was broken serving for the match. But Federer got another chance two games later, and served out \nthe match at love.\nFederer won $1.2 million, while Nadal got $600,000.