Barbershop uses sex appeal to profit

BombShell Barbers to open in Bloomington

Sex sells. Businesses already incorporate sex appeal in television, magazines and the occasional restaurant. Next stop: the barbershop.\nIndianapolis businessman Kris Pierce of managing company Pierce Group, Inc., dreamed up a sexy idea when he decided today's salons are too female-focused. He created BombShell Barbers -- his solution to giving men a relaxing retreat in a masculine-based environment. \nAt BombShell Barbers, beautiful women dressed to "accentuate (their) assets" wait on male clientele hair, hand and foot -- literally. Pierce said the salon will offer haircuts, manicures and shoe shines, as well as facials, massages and waxing. \n"We'll have beautiful women, but they will also have talent as well," Pierce said. "Mostly, it is an ego stroke for men. What man wouldn't want his hair cut by a beautiful person?"\nIndianapolis will be the first city to house this new salon concept, which was originally set to open in May. However, the opening date has been postponed.\n"It will probably have to be pushed back," Pierce said. "It is more difficult than we thought in terms of getting the equipment and having all the technical logistics worked out."\nPierce is looking forward to the opening because it is his creation, and he said he believes there is a market for his business. Men do care about their appearance and hygiene, he said, and deserve a place to experience the same pampering most women enjoy.\n"BombShell Barbers is an idea I had for a number of years, but (I) never did anything about it," Pierce said. "I have heard comments that people think it's a great service, and it will have great success. Ask any guy. They can't wait for it to open."\nPierce's concept has two models for the barbershops with different target markets. First is the BombShell Barbers Salon that Pierce calls the "downtown version." It will be a high-end salon geared toward executive working men in the metropolitan area, he said.\nThe second concept is strictly a place that will cater to college-aged students and the average, Midwestern Joe. \nDuring the upcoming fall semester, IU students won't have to travel to Indianapolis to partake in Pierce's business. He said he plans to open a shop in Bloomington and will start searching for a location in the next four to six weeks. \nBoth shops will employ female beauticians to attend to their customers. But Pierce says his shops will not be distasteful.\nOf course, attire is an important issue with a shop geared toward selling sex appeal. The two different store concepts will each have their own dress codes. Pierce said the "downtown salon" version will work with a high-end boutique to find a beautiful and elegant wardrobe appropriate for its location. As for the second model shop, the attire will be a little more flexible but still tasteful, he said.\nFor interested but timid men who worry that frequenting such a venue might result in them being labeled "sexist pigs," Pierce adds that it will be nothing like Bikini Barbers in Salt Lake City, where female stylists cut hair in bikinis.