Nutritious diet not impossible at IU's food courts

RPS offers healthy alternatives to high calorie food

Reversing the freshman 15 before spring break can seem impossible when pizza and Taco Johns seem like the only meal options. For freshmen and their mooching friends, the food courts offer a lot of healthy options as long as they know where to look.\n"I think we do a good job of providing lots of options," said registered dietitian Heidi Boruff, who helps plan and implement the menu at Residential Programs and Services. For breakfast, lunch and dinner, Boruff has compiled a sample week-long menu of varied healthy options that stress utilizing the salad bar and the Iron Kettle.\nBoruff recommends starting the day with breakfast items such as an English muffin with 134 calories, a scrambled egg with 75 calories, French toast with 150 calories or half a bagel with 170. For lunch and dinner, she recommends turkey and veggie sandwiches with no cheese, turkey burgers with 330 calories, chicken breast sandwiches with 260 calories, pasta with red sauce and the specials at the Iron Kettle. \nShe advises to eat items like taco salad with an estimated 770 calories, falafel with 550 calories and nachos with 570 calories sparingly. \n"I encourage eating at the Iron Kettle -- the vegetables are steamed and we have great specials," she said. "In general I'd avoid Taco Johns, except if you get the chicken taco salad without the shell, it's not bad." \nGresham Food Court Manager Gina Brooks understands the requests for more healthy options, but says there are \nobstacles. \n"We've done all kinds of vegetarian and vegan options, but they don't get eaten that often," Brooks said. "Part of the problem is that the healthy food is often more expensive than unhealthy and if people aren't ordering it, it's hard to keep it on the menu." \nAt Wright Food court, Manager Mark Winstead is working on a new concept called "Eat Wright." After spring break, the food court will have a new section devoted to healthier food options. \nWhile eating a healthy lunch at Gresham food court, two freshman girls were content with the current selection. \n"I like the salad, yogurt and egg-white omelets," said Freshman Angela Battafarano. "It would be cool if they had more options and specials though." \nFreshman Emily Levy said the selection at the food courts is good, but she would like more variety.\n"I wish they had organic food and different fruit like pears, peaches and berries," Levy said. \nBoruff is always working to bring new, affordable options to the food court.\n"Ideally we would like organic food, whole wheat breads and fresh foods, but students have to realize it costs more," Boruff said.\nFor those running low on meal points and still attempting to eat well, Boruff has developed ten meals for six dollars or less. Rather than spending $5.19 on pizza, fries and soda, for example, she recommends spending fifty cents more for a grilled chicken breast from Flamingo grill, a side of vegetables and cottage cheese. \nAs the food becomes all too familiar, Boruff encourages students to avoid fried food, utilize the salad bar and seek out good food. \n"Right now we have healthy options -- they're just hidden behind other things," Boruff said.

For more information on RPS dining options visit http://www.rps.indiana.edu/diningmenus.html