IU hopes weather permits home game

Coach expects to use team's speed at Sembower Field

The IU baseball team hopes the third time proves to be the charm, as it attempts to play its first home game of the season. The first two scheduled home games were cancelled because of inclement weather. \nThe Hoosiers are scheduled to begin a three-game set with the University of Hartford this afternoon at Sembower Field, despite another ominous forecast. \n"It would be nice to get a rhythm and a groove going, but mother nature is going to do what mother nature is going to do," IU coach Tracy Smith said. "It's just something you have to accept this time of year."\nIU hasn't played since March 18, when the team concluded a seven-game spring break road trip in Bradenton, Fla. The Hoosiers finished 3-4 on the trip, which put their overall record at 4-10. Despite playing all 14 games away from home, junior third baseman Steve Head said the Hoosiers aren't frustrated by the cancellations. \n"It's tough not to be able to play a home game or practice outside, but we're staying focused," said Head, IU's leading hitter. "It's a setback, but it's something we can't control, so we're just trying to maintain our focus and be ready for when we do play."\nThe Hoosiers will send senior Josh Lewis to the mound today to face the 1-13 Hawks. Lewis is 1-3 this year with a 4.76 ERA and is coming off two stellar performances during the spring break trip, including the first complete game victory of his career. Lewis surrendered only one earned run in that performance, which he said gave him a blueprint for success in future starts.\n"I got ahead of a lot of hitters in that game, and really that's what I need to do every time out," Lewis said. "Controlling the count is very important."\nWhile Hartford has struggled to a poor start, it nearly knocked off No. 12 University of Tennessee at Knoxville its last time out. The Hawks blew a lead in the game, and eventually fell 8-7. Despite his opponent's struggles, Smith said he's not focused on what Hartford can or can't do as much as he is about what IU can do. \n"Our opponent really is ourselves," Smith said. "We need to take care of our game and our own business and focus on playing hard and playing well. If we do that, the wins will take care of themselves."\nOne such aspect the Hoosiers have focused on has been their running game. IU has 35 stolen bases as a team, 31 of which just four players have stolen -- seniors Reggie Watson and Jay Brant, junior Keith Haas and freshman Andrew Means. The quartet was particularly quick on the base paths during the spring break trip, when it stole 23 bases on 24 attempts. \n"We have to steal bases to be successful," Smith said. "We're not a big three-run homer team, and speed shows up to the ballpark everyday."\nThe Hoosiers and the Hawks will play the second game at 3 p.m. Saturday, and conclude the series at noon Sunday.