Revenge, the Bergman way

The 1960s were a time of great cultural change, both in America and abroad. The film community saw classics born, and the world watched with awe at a new band of filmmakers accurately labeled "auteurs," the authors of the new cinematic generation. Ingmar Bergman is one of the pinnacle filmmakers of that generation and possibly of all time. \nWhen Bergman released "The Virgin Spring," it was received by the cosmopolitan left as an instant classic, an astonishing tale of tragedy and love. However, mainstream values didn't quite coincide with some of the film's more graphic elements, and so it did not initially fare well in the U.S. However, after winning the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film at the 1961 Oscar ceremony, it propelled to worldwide success.\nThe story is based on a classic Swedish folk tale called Töre's Daughter at Vange, about a young girl named Karin who is raped and murdered on her way to church to deliver sacramental candles to the Virgin Mary. Scandinavian legend has it that after this atrocious event, a spring burst forth from under the ground where she lay dead. The spring promised to renew and cleanse all those who came to it wishing their sins against God to be forgiven. \nWhat follows is a parable of despair and redemption, beautiful in its depiction of a torn father whose grief and desire for revenge threatens to destroy him. Played brilliantly by frequent Bergman collaborator Max Von Sydow, Töre is the core of the story, a strong and forceful presence whose actions invoke contemplation and wonder. \nThe new Criterion DVD edition of "The Virgin Spring" takes the viewer into the world of the film. It offers two features essential to any Bergman fan: a lengthy audio interview conducted for The American Film Institute, and interviews with Bergman's actresses Gunnel Lindblom and Birgitta Pettersson. It also includes the original folk tale, some new essays by renowned film scholars and a worthwhile commentary track. \nBut perhaps the most enticing special feature is the new introduction by filmmaker Ang Lee. One of the great qualities of the Criterion filmmaker introductions is the window into the contemporary filmmaker's world by seeing and hearing them talk about the classic directors that influenced them. In the intro, Lee cites "The Virgin Spring" as the first art film he had ever seen, and one that had a profound impact on his life and work. For anyone who's familiar with Lee's repertoire, especially "Brokeback Mountain," this segment is pivotal in understanding his filmmaking inspirations.