Nine women, nine stories

"Nine Lives," the new feature from Rodrigo Garcia, breaks new ground by using a familiar idea. It's nine vignettes are reminiscent of past ensemble works like "Magnolia" and the recent "Crash." \nBut "Crash" and "Magnolia" involve story lines that are told in a kind of rotation, "Nine Lives" is linear and straightforward, leading from one story into the next, without looking back. Most films get two hours to say something and don't say nearly as much as Garcia does in the 12-minute sub-sects of this film. Some of the pieces are more emotionally resonant than others, but woven together, they create a tapestry so complete that the film becomes transcendent.\nEach of the nine lives refers to a woman's life, but this is in no way a "chick flick." Director Garcia (son of Nobel-prize winning writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez) has treaded here before with his other compelling works "Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her" and "Ten Tiny Love Stories." He likes to tell stories about complex, interesting women dealing with the complications they have made in their own lives. He does this with observation and dialogue so keen and realistic that his films succeed every time. \nThe film opens with a female prisoner having a crucial fight with her young daughter. The second vignette is probably the most critically acclaimed, featuring Robin Wright Penn and Jason Isaacs as two old lovers running into one another at a grocery store and saying important things that have been lingering for many years. Other sequences include the fears of a cancer patient and the stresses of a middle-aged woman caring for her dying husband. The cast is large but able; every character is clearly defined and well-acted. \nThe DVD has many interesting bonus features but is sadly lacking a commentary track by Garcia or the actors. The best feature is the 71-minute footage of a panel discussion with some of the actors and Garcia at the Strasberg Institute. Other bonuses include several worthwhile short featurettes on the making of the film and some trailers of upcoming independent releases. \nThe DVD doesn't feature anything extraordinary, but the film itself is enough to make up for what it lacks. It has been called one of the best films of the year by more than one critic and deserves a place as one of the best ensemble pieces in recent years.