Inside the reporter's notebook: Ann Coulter

A look at some of the notes reporter Adam Aasen made while covering Ann Coulter's speech at the IU Auditorium Thursday. Some made the final story, while others didn't.

Ann Coulter

• "You don't want the republicans in power, does that mean you want a dictatorship, gay boy?" she said.\n
  • "Evan Bayh isn't as insane as other democrats," she said. "But he certainly isn't as good as the worst republican."\n
  • "Have you heard of Ann Coulter? She gets out of the house a lot," she said.\n
  • "(Democrats) hate God and they hate America."\n
  • Man asks Coulter: "Who would Jesus bomb?"\n"Probably abortion clinics," Coulter said.\n
  • "We need these talk radio shows to keep the tinfoil hat types busy while we run the country, democratize the Middle East and secure our borders."\n
  • "Apparently, like John Kerry, the Islamic crazies just couldn't get their message across."\n
  • "You guys are doing a great job." she said sarcastically of the ushers. "I guess they did hire democrats as ushers."\n
  • "I think we should have saved the ushers some time and just removed all the ugly people."\n
  • On protester: "OK, I can see him. Until you remove these people, I'm not speaking."\n
  • "People say it's unfair to generalize. You can't make generalizations about democrats," she said. "Why can't we make generalizations? We make generalizations all the time."\n
  • "If the democrats want to stay in the middle of the road, why do they keep sticking with Teddy Kennedy?" she said. "Didn't he have some trouble staying in the middle of the road."\n
  • "You are paying me to give a speech," she said. "I mean, if you don't want me to keep talking, that's fine, but I think I'll just do the speech. Hopefully, the idiot liberals will be out of her by the second half of the speech."\n
  • "It's time for someone to say, let's start over," she said.\n

Brad Allen, Union Board

\n
  • "I'm impressed with how it went," he said. "I think we really sparked some discussion."\n
  • "I think she had a different idea of how the security was going to be," he said. "I think the security did a great job and we kept things under control."\n
  • "Union Board is happy to have her express her ideas, but we won't comment on her message," he said.\n

Shane Kennedy, president of IUCRs

\n
  • "I think the guy could have been more respectful to her," he said. "I mean, we already know that she was going to be controversial and she was just saying what people were thinking. If you are going to talk like you are gay, then Ann Coulter is going to call you gay. Of course, she said it in a spiteful tone, but it was expected."\n
  • "Even though there were a few crazy people I thought it was pretty moderate," he said.\n

Student response

\n
  • "She was just rude," sophomore Alana Kanter said. "From the 'brown boy' comment to calling that guy 'gay boy' she was really rude. It was uncalled for."\n
  • "It was purely rhetoric with no substance," law student Kamran Khan said.\n
  • "I thought it was very immature," freshman Andrea Knapp said. "The should have let her talk. It was embarrassing."\n

Student choosing not to attend:

\n
  • "I'd just be another number to boost her attendance," senior Janice Parmar said.
  • Get stories like this in your inbox