Free eating awareness screenings to be offered

In the United States, as many as 10 million women and 1 million men are fighting a life-and-death battle with an eating disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia. \nFree body image and eating awareness screenings will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday in Woodburn Hall and from 4 to 6 p.m. at the School of Education and Student Recreational Sports Center. \nIU Counseling and Psychological Services, Sexual Assault Services, Health and Wellness Center, the Center for Human Growth and the SRSC are sponsoring the screenings.\nThose being screened will fill out a questionnaire covering eating and exercise habits. Staff members of the participating organizations will evaluate the answers immediately, answer any questions participants may have and suggest if participants should seek further counseling.\nAccording to www.nationaleatingdisorders.org,, eating disorders are illnesses that have a biological basis and are influenced by emotional and cultural factors. While eating disorders are serious and life-threatening, recovery is possible through treatment.\nStephanie May, a psychology intern, said she believes the screening can be beneficial for students and the IU Health Center. The questionnaires are \ncompletely confidential and only take a couple of minutes to fill out.\n"It takes a little less than five minutes. We are looking to see if the test picks up on eating disorders in relation to food and body image, exercising and any type of dieting or measures to control weight," May said. "And get a sense of how people are perceiving messages about bodies through the media."\nMay described an eating disorder as any type of disturbance in eating behavior or unrealistic body image. She said the range of an eating disorder is quite broad, but anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating are three common forms. \nTerry Ransel, a licensed clinical social worker for CAPS, said everyone should attend the event, even if they don't believe they have a problem. \n"It is a good thing for all students because it has an educational focus," Ransel said. "A bigger part of it is thinking how body image is portrayed in the culture.\n"A lot of students know someone with an eating disorder. Eating disorders aren't as common with men, but they may know a friend or a girlfriend who needs help. And although most women don't have eating disorders, they have issues with their bodies." \nMay said if a someone does have a friend with an eating disorder, it is important not to focus on the food or weight problems but to listen and be supportive. \n"The best thing to do is to talk openly and honestly about your concerns and refer them to counseling," May said.\nBecause the screening is confidential, the CAPS workers will not release any type of information or names of those who attend. Instead, the screening will help identify if a person should be referred for counseling or help uncover and identify any distorted images they have about realistic body images.\nThen it's up to the individuals to decide whether they want to follow up after the screening.\n"We (CAPS) can make a general recommendation for treatment through CAPS or another organization sponsoring the event," May said. "The IU health clinic offers students two free counseling sessions per semester."\nMay's No. 1 piece of advice is to seek counseling and to be aware of your body every day.\n"Your body is an instrument of your life and not an ornament," May said. "Basically, focus on things that allow you to enjoy your body and not be critical of it."\nFor additional help, students can call CAPS at 855-5711 or 334-0001 to attend a free educational support group offered twice a month at the SRSC.