Upper-level biotech courses to begin in fall

New major may expand industry throughout Indiana

The IU College of Arts and Sciences will offer upper-level courses in biotechnology starting in the fall of 2006. Students have been able to declare the major since the fall of 2004, but advanced courses will be phased into the curriculum for the first time next semester. \nThe program, spearheaded by Biology professor Malcolm Winkler, is a joint effort between the Biology and Chemistry departments. It combines several aspects of life sciences with other disciplines, particularly subjects that graduates should be familiar with in order to obtain jobs in the biotechnology field. For example, students will focus on areas like law and writing as they pertain to biotechnology.\nSenior and biology major Mike Behrns said he believes the degree would be suitable for pre-med students. \n"I think it's a good thing," Behrns said. "It's something to fall back on in case things don't work out quite like you want them. It's a very practical major."\nAnother significant aspect of the program is internship placement. \nThe program also benefits a greater effort to help expand the biotechnology industry in the state of Indiana. "Indiana is making a transition from older style heavy industry into different areas," Winkler said. "One of the areas it's particularly strong in is biotechnology." \nWinkler also said preparing students to enter this budding industry is a "two-way street," where they will be ready to contribute and find success immediately, while also supporting a thriving young industry in the state. \nSeveral biotechnology companies, including Eli Lilly, Cook Pharmica and Pfizer have a significant presence in Indiana. Dan Peterson, a spokesperson for Cook, which is headquartered in Bloomington, said he believes this new major will be beneficial to both the companies and IU. \n"I think that there is no question that IU can be a tremendous leader in (biotechnology education)," he said.\nProgram directors have kept in close contact with biotech companies in the state and around the country in an effort to stay up to date on what these companies are looking for in new employees, Winkler said. This way, biotech majors will be better prepared to enter the workforce upon graduation. \nThe program offers most of its higher level courses in the junior year. In their senior years, students will take electives that more directly relate to their intended career paths in biotechnology. It is then that intended majors must decide where they want to work in the biotechnology field. \nPeterson said he believes having such a specialized yet interdisciplinary degree can make IU a principal player in the biotechnology field for years to come. \n"The idea of having a biotech degree combined with the exposure to other disciplines would be tremendous, as would the combination of biotech and business background," Peterson said. "In the future, we're going to have the opportunities to keep IU students in Indiana, so that they won't have to go elsewhere"