The art of chocolate

Sweet-tooths come out to sample some of Bloomington's finest desserts

A chiseled statue inspired by the greek god Atlas stood covered in chocolate. Without warning, he moved. Dave Naze, an assistant instructor in the IU Department of Communication and Culture, said he'd never before been covered in chocolate, but described playing Atlas as an exciting, liberating experience.\n"Being the center of attention is nice once in a while," he said.\nAbout 200 chocolate enthusiasts enjoyed the sight of Naze while sampling art-inspired desserts, tasting wine and listening to jazz from the Andy Cobine Trio at The Art of Chocolate exhibition in the IU Art Museum.\nThe fundraiser, sponsored by Options for Better Living, cost entrants $40 each (or $75 for two) and featured the talents of several area chefs and artists.\nOptions is a non-profit organization serving more than 220 people with disabilities, Executive Director Susan Rinne said. She said the proceeds from the event cover costs to support group living and in-home support for area families.\nChocolate-inspired jewelry, a cruise and various artwork were among the dozens of items in the silent auction. All items were donated from area businesses and artists, and proceeds will benefit Options.\nRinne said the Art Museum is the perfect location for the event, saying the chocolate creations are art and the chefs their artists.\n"It's the most beautiful chocolate you've ever seen," she said.\nIndiana Memorial Union chefs Sherry Houze and Cindy Brown showcased a chocolate fountain with fruit and poundcake for dipping, various truffles and biscotti. Houze said her favorite featured dessert is Tosca, made with layers of almond, raspberry filling and chocolate, topped with an almond glaze and coated in a chocolate dip.\nShe said most of the desserts will be on sale or available by special order from Sugar and Spice.\nJulie Dailey of Oliver Winery said dry wines are aged longer and have less sugar than sweet wines, but both pair well with chocolate. \n"The Late Harvest Vignoles tastes like nectar in a glass," Dailey said. "The semi-dry Cherry wine is perfect for chocolate." \nShe said she was surprised that Zinfandel and Shiraz, both dry wines, were the most popular of the evening.\nSous-chef Jason Shoulders of Restaurant Tallent helped prepare the dessert. \n"You gotta wait until it jiggles right," he said of the vanilla and chocolate malted creme brulée with a toffee topping. \nShoulders said the menu at Restaurant Tallent changes every few months, but patrons might see the creme brulée on the menu.\nComing up in the Week of Chocolate is "A Night at The Cocoa Cafe" from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Girls Inc., located at 1108 W. Eighth St. Tickets are $3. \n"Death by Chocolate" is an interactive murder-mystery at 7 p.m. Friday at St. Thomas Lutheran Church and tickets are $12. \nChocolate Fest is 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Bloomington Convention Center and advance tickets cost $10 and are $14 at the door. For more information, visit www.weekofchocolate.com.