Children in families devastated by cancer bond at Camp Kesem

For junior Sigall Rave, the value and experience of Camp Kesem extends beyond the traditional function of children's summer camp. It is a place where campers can deal with the pain and shock of cancer in a parent. The healing service of the program, Rave said, makes sacrificing a week of summer vacation more than worthwhile. \n"I participate in Camp Kesem because I think camp truly helps give these children a chance to just have fun and act like kids, rather than having to worry about their parents' illness or death," Rave said. "I hope the children get just that, a week of fun and craziness, and hopefully they also leave with new friends who are going through similar hardships, so that they know they aren't alone during such a difficult time."\nCamp Kesem is a weeklong, student-run camp for children dealing with the cancer of a parent. Rave, one of two camp project coordinators, said she believes the value of Camp Kesem extends beyond just having fun. \n"The sadness and pain that the children and these families are feeling is hard for them to describe at such a young age and often goes unnoticed," Rave said. "Camp comes in to provide them an outlet, a place to just have fun, be kids and make friends who also have parents with cancer."\nThe camp will be held from August 6-11 this year, though the location has yet to be decided. \nSince the summer of 2000, students across the country have been taking time out of their break to organize and hold a camp for children who have a parent with or have lost a parent to cancer. Camp Kesem is one week during the summer, and is planned, organized, coordinated and staffed by students. Each camp is run almost exclusively and independently by volunteer students from each university. \nThe first Camp Kesem was started through the Stanford University Hillel Center in 2000. Several universities across the country run similar projects with the support of what has turned into a national organization. Campers at the summer program pay no fees, and Camp Kesem itself is a nonprofit organization that runs entirely off donations. \nThe camp is meant to be a healing experience for children who attend. The counselors are focused on helping their campers deal with the emotions they are feeling in a safe, trusting and relaxed environment. \n"I feel like camp is the best form of therapy for these children," said Liz Gray, Kesem's other project coordinator. "Camp is definitely the best way to get these kids to come out of their shells and heal." \nCamp Kesem is entering its second year in Indiana, and is for children between the ages of 6 and 13. IU students began the camp for children in the Bloomington/Indianapolis area only a year ago. Student organizers hope to have around 40 campers to participate in the program this summer. Rave said the camp had 21 campers last summer.\nStudents involved with the camp say that the best part of Camp Kesem is the bond it creates between the campers, staff and families. \n"The families come together, they meet each other. So they're connected not only with us but with each other," junior staffer Rachel Ellison said.\nThe camp is staffed by volunteer counselors and a medical staff who all undergo extensive training prior to working at the camp. Camp directors and committee members hope to find around 20 counselors for the coming summer, and they held call-out meetings earlier this month for all interested in volunteering their time to the program. \nStaffers participating in Camp Kesem share in the experiences of their campers. But students recognize the importance of such connections in the lives of the children. \n"I do camp because Camp Kesem is a very unique experience like no other," said Reena Vanjani, a student committee coordinator. "We target kids whose parents have cancer, and not many organizations do that."\nStudents volunteering their time with Camp Kesem can assist camper care, student support, fundraising, and administration and programming. Those who were unable to attend call-out meetings earlier this semester can still help out by contacting directors at Indiana@campkesemnational.org. Rave said anyone still interested in helping with the camp welcome to apply for a position.\nThe value of Camp Kesem extends beyond a simple week of fun. Touching the lives of these children and their families is of the utmost importance to the staff. \n"It really is such an unbelievable experience for these kids. It's something no one else can really offer them," Committee Coordinator and student Leslie Abrams said. "It boosts their self esteem, it helps them grieve. It's just an amazing program for these kids"