Killingsworth's career game can't carry IU

Wednesday morning the name Marco Killingsworth only really resonated with fans in Indiana and Alabama. Today, however, is a different story.\nThe senior transfer exploded onto the national scene Wednesday night, scoring a career-high 34 points in a nationally televised 75-67 loss to No. 1 Duke. The Blue Devils entered the game with the defending defensive player of the year set to guard Killingsworth, but they spent the entire night searching for answers.\n"Our game plan was to go inside all night," IU coach Mike Davis said. "If Marco needs to score 40 or 50 points, we'll let him do that."\nFive minutes into the game, all signs pointed to a career night of a different kind. The fifth-year senior missed a shot (his only of the half) and committed three turnovers before finally loosening up.\n"We came out tight as can be," Davis said. "(Marco) is like guys' big brother. If he's a little shaky it really hurts us."\nWith 14:08 on the clock, and the score 18-8 in favor of Duke, Killingsworth received a pass in the post, shook free from Williams and dropped in a layup. The score gave him his first two points and the packed house its first spark of life. \nThe Killingsworth show was ready to begin.\nOn IU's next possession, sophomore forward Robert Vaden missed a jumper, but Killingsworth grabbed the board, gave two quick head fakes and dropped the ball in off the glass.\nThe Auburn transfer dictated the pace for the final minutes of the first period, scoring 13 of IU's last 17 points. At one point, Killingsworth scored on three-straight IU possessions, capped by a 15-foot jumper to pull the Hoosiers within five. \n"He showed us that we needed to step up and play just as hard as he was playing," Vaden said. "He just inspired us to play hard."\nKillingsworth proved his value in the first half, but he proved himself invaluable in the second. The halftime break seemed to only increase the 268-pound forward's desire as he scored six straight IU points and drew four fouls from both of Duke's starting forwards.\nThe senior matched his 17-point effort in the first half with 17 more in the second, including a clutch 3-pointer that pulled IU within five. \n"I just saw (the three open) and let it ride," he said. "(Williams) laid off me so much I had to shoot it."\nKillingsworth then inspired the loudest reaction of the night when he threw down a dunk that gave IU the lead with 7:40 remaining in the game.\nUnfortunately, the Killingsworth Express "ran out of gas" in the game's waning minutes, Davis said. With only a minute left to play and IU within five, Killingsworth made a strong move to the basket and dropped a two-footer on the front of the rim. A shot that seemed like it would have fallen earlier in the game rolled away from the basket and took IU's chances with it.