Third time no lucky charm for IU in NCAA tourney

There will be no three-peat for the IU men's soccer team.\nNot only did the No. 3 Hoosiers' season end while the final seconds ticked off the scoreboard in a 2-0 loss to Notre Dame last Tuesday, so did IU's 10-game NCAA tournament winning streak.\nFor the third time in the history of IU soccer, the cream and crimson entered the NCAA tournament as the two-time defending champions. For the third time, the Hoosiers were unable to win a third straight national title. While IU failed to win a third title in their previous two attempts (1984 and 2000), the Hoosiers made the College Cup in those seasons before bowing out of the tournament.\nThe loss in the second round is the earliest the Hoosiers have been knocked out of the tournament since Butler defeated IU 1-0 in the first round of the 1995 tournament. The Hoosiers failed to advance to the College Cup for only the second time in the last nine seasons.\nA trio of senior midfielders -- Mike Ambersley, Jordan Chirico and Brian Plotkin -- wrapped up their decorated careers at IU in the loss to the Irish. During their four seasons in Bloomington, the cream and crimson recorded a record of 64-14-14, won three regular season Big Ten championships, two Big Ten Tournament championships and two NCAA championships.\n"I feel sad for them (the seniors)," IU head coach Mike Freitag said. "They've done some things a lot of other guys have never done. They've been to championships, and it's a shame we won't be fighting for it again this year."\nThe seniors have also had their share of personal success during their careers at IU. Amberley won co-Big Ten Freshman of the Year and scored the go-ahead goal in the penalty shootout in last season's NCAA championship game. Chirico was named academic All-Big Ten his sophomore year. Plotkin has been awarded Big Ten Freshman of the Year, named first team All-Big Ten three times, won Big Ten Player of the Year this season and is a semifinalist for the Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy. Plotkin gained 76 points in his career, putting him 23rd on the all-time Hoosier points list.\n"It's tough to end your Hoosier career with a loss," Ambersley said. "I've had some of the greatest moments in my soccer career playing with this group of seniors. They are some of my best friends and I will keep those friends forever."\nWhile the Hoosiers will miss the senior class, the team has the talent returning to continue the high level of play expected of IU soccer teams next season, Freitag said.\n"We will regroup and use his hurt feeling to refuel our commitment to excellence," Freitag said. "We are looking forward to getting back to work when we can"