Loyal fan base packs Alumni Hall for Hanson rock concert

10 years after height of fame, fans still crazy for band

Hanson still has the ability to shake its mostly female audience to the core. Case in point: Some girls got sick in the bathroom before the show even began.\nMore than 600 people Monday night packed Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union to see Hanson in all its glory as the band performed as part of its "Live and Electric '05" Tour. After two opening acts, including local contest winner Robbie Gold and Pat McGee Band, Hanson took the stage shortly after 10 p.m. The crowd roared when Isaac took his guitar, and all was about lost when Zac and Taylor entered a moment later.\nHanson's performance was divided into electronic and acoustic sets. The band sang new and old material (yes, "MMMBop" was on the playlist). Isaac, Taylor and Zac all had their turn in the spotlight, highlighting each member's individual abilities.\nRecent interviews with Hanson have concentrated on their independent record label, 3CG. Now that the band is entirely in control of its material, fans say they could hear the evolution and growth of its music. \n"I've been following Hanson for 10 years," said Cassie Henke, a senior with a specialized major in music history. "It amazed me how their music and musical abilities have matured."\nBeing a longtime fan educated in the band's music, Henke was not in the minority. Puffy-painted T-shirts and fanatic posters could be found throughout the crowd. The music was loud. The screams, however, were deafening. The crowd's energy never diminished. People tried to push and shove their way to the front throughout the entire concert.\nThe band played about two dozen songs before leaving the stage at 11:45 p.m. Some were covers, which came as a surprise to the audience. Hanson played songs by The Doobie Brothers, U2's "Desire" and "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers.\nAfter their show, Taylor Hanson spoke about the music industry and his new role as CEO of 3CG. The documentary shown Monday displayed Hanson's personal struggle, with its former label Island Def Jam, but Taylor said this experience is not exclusive to Hanson.\n"You've got these huge labels that have all of this power, and you put the best accountants, and the best lawyers in these buildings, but that's it," Taylor said. "No one there has any knowledge of music and art."\nHe explained that with big labels, there's not a lot of job security, and artists sometimes don't take the necessary risks to launch an amazing career in fear of losing their protection by the corporate umbrella.\n"At any moment, a band can be dropped, so a lot of artists will just lay low and not do anything because they feel they can get fired for that," Taylor said. \nHe said this could limit some bands from showing their true colors because they have to satisfy the higher-ups who don't always understand a band's direction or ideas.\nTaylor said he feels Hanson is more successful as an independent band but not monetarily.\n"We've accumulated debt," Taylor said, attributing the loss to working with a label that has large amounts of money. "But at least we're doing things and keeping busy." \nHanson cites not only its tour, but, as Isaac mentioned, an upcoming album it hopes to be released within a year.\nTaylor said the band feels privileged to go around the country and not only introduce its music and ideas but also offer up the music of other independent bands.\n"At all of our concerts, we give away a free CD sampler," Taylor said. "It has us, Pat McGee Band and other just amazing bands." \nAt the lecture earlier in the day, Isaac expressed how difficult it is to succeed in the music industry, saying the brothers support bands they feel have amazing abilities and potential.\nIn addition to the concert, the band tried to reach and speak to its audience about the music business experience. The documentary and Q-and-A session not only promote the band's album and newly independent status but offer fans an insight to the industry and some of its downfalls. Hanson's fans still view the band as a force to be reckoned with. \n"Ten years later, Hanson still makes me want to cry," Henke said. \nJudging by the turnout at the lecture and concert, she's not alone.