How we pay our bills

Although many students encounter the Indiana Daily Student frequently and regularly throughout their college careers, there are still many unanswered questions and misconceptions about our newspaper. This week, I'd like to hold a crash course in the history of the IDS and how we operate today.\nThe IDS has been in existence, in one form or another, since 1867. In 1969, student journalists fought to give the IDS self-governance outside the University. That year, the IU board of trustees approved a charter for our newspaper that classifies us as an auxiliary enterprise -- editorially independent from the University and financially self-supporting. \nThis much should be made abundantly clear: Student managers make the judgment calls at IDS and it does not cost you anything.\nOn our news department side, the final say-so for anything printed in the newspaper is the responsibility of the editor in chief. Our editor in chief is elected by a student media board comprised of representatives from the IDS, the faculty, the administration, the IU Student Association and several professional journalists.\nOur editorial independence empowers us to print the stories we believe are important without the fear of retribution. Neither IU President Adam Herbert nor the trustees can legally tell us that we cannot publish a story.\nWe are financially self-supporting, and I cannot stress that enough. The IDS does not receive any student fees to put out our newspaper. We have 26 student advertising representatives who, on average, bring in $50,000 apiece to help run the IDS. Last year, IDS representatives brought in about $2.15 million for all of our budgetary needs. \nIt is true that we run advertisements from student organizations who receive student fees. Those organizations who choose to advertise with us are under no obligation to do so. Once a group such as Union Board or IUSA receives student fees, it can spend its advertising money however it pleases; but many of them realize there isn't a more effective way to reach the student body as a whole than in the IDS, and we do give discounted advertising rates to students and student groups.\nIt is also true we are housed inside a campus building, Ernie Pyle Hall. Last year we paid more than $60,000 in administrative fees to have the privilege of being located on campus. We purchase all of our office supplies, including every computer we use in the newsroom. We pay for our utilities. \nBut it would be infeasible for students do to everything by ourselves, which is why we have professional staff members to assist us in day-to-day operations. We employ 10 full-time, professional staff members, whose salaries and benefits are covered exclusively by the IDS. \nOur 11th professional staff member, Director of Student Media David Adams, receives 65 percent of his salary from the IDS and 10 percent from the Arbutus yearbook, which is also editorially independent and financially self-supporting. The remaining 25 percent of his salary comes from the School of Journalism, which has appointed him as a 12-month adjunct professor.\nAs always, if you have any questions or comments about how the IDS operates on a day-to-day basis, feel free to contact me, Editor in Chief Adam Aasen, or Managing Editor Mallory Simon. Letters to the editor can also be e-mailed to us at letters@indiana.edu.