Coffee business brewing day and night

It has been another long day at IU. For most students on campus, it's been a day full of lectures, presentations and exams. After a day like today, what's next? For many students, it's a trip to a neighborhood coffee shop. \nWith the increase in school work and the decrease in temperature, the coffee business in Bloomington is definitely brewing. But unlike many other businesses, the coffee business is one that's always buzzing -- morning, noon and, in some cases, even all night long.\nWhile a steaming hot cup of coffee is a guarantee any time these businesses are open, store location and hours play a part in when businesses get their biggest rushes. The three well-known coffee shops around campus --all possessing unique traits -- are The Copper Cup on Third Street, Soma Coffee House on Kirkwood Avenue and Starbuck's on Indiana Avenue.\nThe Copper Cup is focused on the morning coffee rush, said employee Marty Musser. The store is open from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m. on weekdays and 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekends. It is consistently busy all morning. Musser said they construct the core of their business on returning customers -- the people who come in every day a part of their routine. \nThere's usually another rush after 3 p.m. after classes let out, but after 5 p.m., business slows down, Musser said. Only about 25 percent of The Copper Cup's profits come in after 5 p.m., he said. Musser speculated it could be because of the store's early closing hours. Also, weekends prove to generate a lesser piece of its revenue.\n"Weekends are much slower because most of the people do not have work or school," Musser said. "There are generally less people on campus." \nShe added that the majority of the store's profit is found in its coffee and espresso beverages.\nSoma, known for being "the coffee shop without the corporate aftertaste," is another popular spot for students. It has slightly later hours, staying open until 11 p.m. on weekdays and weekends. Margaret Belton, a Soma barrista, said the store prides itself in building a community within Bloomington. In addition to being privately owned, Soma receives some of its fresh produce from local farms. \nAlong with coffee and espresso beverages, it serves fresh organic smoothies and juices. It focuses on the vegan and organic product consumers. The bulk of its business occurs during the morning and mid-afternoon, much like The Copper Cup, but business also remains generally steady throughout the night. Soma has tried staying open during even later hours, but "it does not really affect the amount of business we do," Belton said. \nThe 24-hour Starbucks on Indiana Avenue has become a new favorite for many students. \n"We tested the 24-hour option during finals last year, and it was a great success," said manager Paul Owen. And by success, he does not just mean the amount of money earned. As a current graduate student, Owen said he understands the need for students to "get away from the dorms, houses and (the) library." He said the 24-hour access is an effort to expand the store's community impact. \n"Starbucks, though a corporate company, makes a distinct effort to build within the community," he said. "We want to create the concept of a 'third place' for people within our community." \nFor sophomores Amy Aylward, Jill Radford and Steven Hackbarth, it has become that "home away from home" and nearly a daily habit. \n"I usually go to Starbucks around four times a week," Hackbarth said. "It's nice having a place to go to take a break from an intense night of studying." \nAylward and Radford said they take advantage of the 24-hour facility to do homework in a different environment. \n"It really is not about the coffee for us, but rather the change of atmosphere. It is so much better than the library," Aylward said. \nRadford affirmed this statement. "It is nice to have a place where you can work and be comfortable and not have to worry about talking too much or your cell phone ringing," she said. \nOwen mentioned the store has recently started a Thursday night open mic night that allows people with musical talent, poetic ability and other talents to perform for an audience. "The community of Bloomington is very artistic and this provides another venue for their talents," Owen said. \nLike the two aforementioned stores, Starbucks receives the bulk of its business in the morning with sporadic rushes after classes let out in the afternoon. \n"We have our regular customers with their drinks memorized," Owen said. Many mornings Starbuck's employees have the drinks already prepared for the customers, he said. On average, the store makes about $4,000 per day, according to their daily reports. Eighty to 85 percent of those profits come from espresso beverages. The rest of the profits come from pastries and ready-to-drink beverages. \nOne common factor among these stores is the lack of the feeling of competition. Musser said she felt each of these stores had their own "niche." Each store generally has different goals but shares the similar desire to build relationships with their patrons. Through the combination of location, ambiance and beverage preparation, each store presents a unique brew for their customers to enjoy day or night.