'Mar Adentro' screening a cultural experience

La Casa shows film as part of Spanish series

The intimacy of a small group of four people gathered to watch a movie is not just something for friends to organize -- the University also sponsors events like these. Such a gathering occurred Wednesday at La Casa Latino Cultural Center in a viewing of "Mar Adentro" ("The Sea Inside").\n"It's not just entertainment," said Lillian Casillas, director of La Casa. For the center, movies serve as a way to learn about Latino culture. \nLa Casa has had a film series for the past two years. It chooses the movies to represent different parts of Latin America, Latin Americans and Spaniards while exploring social issues.\nCasillas receives a lot of input for the movies shown, but she makes the final decisions.\nShe chose "Mar Adentro" because of its awards (it won an Academy Award for Best Foreign Film) and public recognition of the star and director. \nJavier Bardem is the star of the film. Bardem is the first Spanish actor ever to be nominated for an Academy Award for his role in "Before Night Falls."\nDirector Alejandro AmenĂ¡bar's past credits include "The Others" and "Abre los Ojos," the film on which Vanilla Sky was based.\nThe film is based on the true story of Ramon Sampedro, who was left quadriplegic after an accident. Sampedro spent 30 years battling the Spanish government, trying to obtain the legal right to his assisted suicide.\n"Mar Adentro" focuses on Sampedro's legal battle and his relationships with two women. One relationship is with a female lawyer who supports his cause, and the other is with a female neighbor who wants him to live.\nLa Casa employee junior Joel Hernandez enjoyed the movie.\n"It makes me think a lot about where people stand (on the issue of euthanasia)," he said. "It makes me sad that the health department makes people's decisions for them."\nAlfonso Gerbolini attended the screening and felt very connected to the film.\n"It makes you feel like you are with him -- you're in the room," Gerbolini said.\nHis friend, Daniel Sudijanto, felt somewhat differently.\n"I think it's very depressing. He can't get what he wants," Sudijanto said, referring to Sampedro's desire for a dignified death.\nHowever, the film series is only one aspect of La Casa's outreach program. The center also plays host to cooking lessons, guest speakers and various cultural games. Through its film series, it has also created a film library, which encompasses a broad range of genres and nations. \nFuture presentations broaden the scope of movies in Spanish. Puerto Rican Discovery Day falls on Nov. 19, so that month's movie will focus on Puerto Rico. Movies in the spring will be about Afro-Latinos and Asian Latinos. At La Casa, they try to build bridges to other cultures whenever they can. Some of their events are co-sponsored with other IU organizations, further displaying La Casa's goal to be an active part of IU's society.\nFreshman Cynthia Solorzano, works at La Casa. She said she enjoys the social aspect the center provides.\n"Through La Casa I've met people outside the dorms," she said.\nHernandez felt very similar about La Casa's community environment.\n"Everybody's really friendly here -- like a family. It really is like your house," he said.\nThe film series takes place at 7 p.m. on the third Wednesday of every month. For more information, call La Casa at 855-0174 or visit La Casa at 715 E. Seventh St.