Job outlook promising this year, experts say

Flexibility, open mind, preparation helpful in career search

Initial reports indicating a promising future for 2006 graduates have met skepticism in the minds of some IU seniors who, in the wake of one of the worst hurricane seasons on record, now begin the daunting task of looking for a job. \nBefore the hurricanes, the job outlook was good. Employers anticipated hiring 14.5 percent more new college graduates in 2005-2006 than they hired in 2004-2005, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, which released its annual survey in August. Sixty-six percent of employers included in the survey predicted they would hire more college graduates than they hired in 2004-2005. \nBut students aren't so sure they still believe those statistics. \n"The more I hear about the recovery effort for the hurricanes this year, the more nervous I become about the job market after graduation," said senior Shira Malcmacher.\nHowever, Mark Brostoff, associate director of Undergraduate Career Services for the Kelley School of Business, said while Katrina has added pressure on the economy, there are no early indications of a major economic fallout. Students looking for jobs still have a lot to be optimistic. \n"The jobs are out there, seniors just need to utilize the services available to assist them early on," he said.\nIU has a plethora of services available to students looking to make the transition into the workforce. The Career Development Center, located on the corner of 10th Street and Jordan Avenue, is accessible to all students and offers assistance with résumés, cover letters and job- and internship-hunting strategies. \n"Companies are looking for students who have done their homework," said Patrick Donahue, director of the Career Development Center. "They like to see that the student has taken some initiative in researching their business and tailored a résumé and cover letter accordingly. We are open to help students accomplish that every weekday."\nSarah Peters, a client manager for AC Nielson, a marketing firm featured at a recent IU career fair, said she agrees with the importance of being informed about what companies offer. \n"Students who research companies and find out what opportunities they present show recruiters that they are serious about acquiring a position," she said. "I give someone 30 seconds of my time to let them impress me. If I am doing all the talking, I am not impressed."\nWhile some fields, such as marketing and finance, which require students to have a specific classroom background, are expected to see exceptionally large increases in hiring this year as many companies are open to students of any major who are willing to learn their business. \n"Many firms aren't targeting specific majors but rather looking for qualities such as leadership in students," said Donahue. "Take time to explore. Students should visit career fairs that may not fit perfectly with their major because chances are students will find a company they have the skills to work for but had never thought about before."\nCareer fairs ranging in fields from marketing to life sciences regularly make appearances on campus. Students may access a list of upcoming fairs on the CDC Web site, www.indiana.edu/~career.\nLisa Barger, a junior majoring in apparel merchandising, has attended several business career fairs in search of a summer internship. \n"Macy's and Kohl's are some of the businesses that send recruiters to IU," she said. "These companies are so large that they present opportunities to more than just business students." \nBrostoff said being flexible is essential. "The job market is looking promising this year due to the increasing number of jobs that are willing to train new employees," he said. "The most important thing is to have a degree and a willingness to learn"