Hoosiers take bite out of Bulldogs

IU out-shoots Butler University in 6-0 victory

When freshmen forward Kevin Noschang and midfielder Brad Ring entered last night's game against Butler, the IU men's soccer team had only attempted three shots and was tied with the visiting Bulldogs.\nWhen the halftime whistle blew 14 minutes later, the Hoosiers registered 12 shots and two goals on their way to a 6-0 victory.\n"I wasn't happy with the first 30 minutes," IU head coach Mike Freitag said. "We came back and the last 60 minutes we played like an IU team."\nSenior midfielder Mike Ambersley made an immediate impact when he moved to forward during the substitution. Less than a minute after the substitution, junior midfielder Josh Tudela crossed the ball from the left sideline into the penalty box. Ambersley headed the ball to senior midfielder Brian Plotkin, who netted his seventh goal of the season on a volley from 15 yards.\n"(Ambersley's) body twisted in all sorts of ways on that one," Plotkin said. "I don't know how he even got his head on that one to me. The goalie was a little off-center so I just put it past him."\nThe IU attack continued eight minutes later when senior midfielder Jordan Chirico headed a Plotkin cross into the net, giving the Hoosiers a 2-0 lead at halftime. Plotkin and freshman forward Lee Nguyen lead the Big Ten with seven assists apiece.\nThe Hoosiers controlled possession during the first part of the second half but were unable to capitalize on their opportunities. Junior forward Kevin Robson scored his second goal of the season 20 minutes into the second half when he chipped the ball over Butler goalkeeper Nick Hegeman from 15 yards.\nLess than a minute later, Ambersley joined in the scoring effort when he tapped in a Noschang pass for his fourth goal of the year.\n"I just try to get everyone involved, and they do a good job of getting me the ball," Ambersley said. "I just try to create, and when I have been going up front this year, good things have happened. Wherever I play I am just trying as hard as I can."\nIU rounded out the scoring with two late goals from junior midfielder John Michael Hayden and freshman Billy Weaver. The Hoosiers outshot the Bulldogs 24 to five and had two more corners than their in-state rival.\nSophomore Chris Munroe and freshman Chay Cain combined for the ninth Hoosiers shutout of the season. Munroe entered the game ranked 15th nationally in goals against average, allowing .60 goals per game.\n"Great defensive performance from all the guys tonight," Munroe said. "Especially the forwards and midfielders -- they really put the pressure on the Butler defenders and midfielders. We were able to create a lot of chances because of that pressure."\nThe Hoosiers have four games remaining in the regular season before postseason play begins, and the team wants to use these games as chances to improve its seeds in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments. With a win Sunday against Big Ten foe Ohio State and a Michigan State loss or tie in their two remaining games, the Hoosiers would lock up the second seed in the Big Ten tournament.\n"We are trying to win every game from now on," Ambersley said. "We know if we can put together a winning streak we can get a top four seed (in the NCAA tournament), and that's huge come tournament time because we can get three games here at home. We are trying to play our best soccer, and we had a good start tonight"