5th annual boat regatta draws pirate ships, banana floats

Cardboard, duct tape make for floaters, sinkers

Willkie Quad residents discovered another thing to add to the infinite use of duct tape: construct an 8-foot-long yellow banana boat for the fifth annual Cardboard Boat Regatta held by The Council for Advancing Student Leadership.\n"It's laid back in Willkie, so we got started with Banana Boat sunscreen and went from there," Willkie Wonders co-captain and junior Matt Skiba explained. \nAs one of 24 teams competing Friday to have the fastest and most creative boat, the Willkie Wonders constructed their vast boat completely out of cardboard and duct tape. Not only did it resemble a banana, but it also had to hold its two captains, clad in duct tape coconut-shell bras and grass skirts, as it sailed across IU's Outdoor Pool. The Wonders attempted to sweep the scoreboard after receiving third place honors in both categories last year.\n"The strategy is to drill holes in all the other boats and pray," Skiba said.\nKim Shultz, CASL Event Director and senior, said praying is the fun aspect. \n"The most exciting part of the event is seeing which boats sink and which ones sail," she said.\nThe boats varied in their ability to stay afloat. Most boats tipped over, forcing their captains to doggie-paddle to the finish line while dragging their flimsy cardboard constructs behind them.\n"It's like watching an Olympic runner fall and get injured but get back up and finish the race anyway," sophomore Kris Kolish said of the spectacle. "I think they deserve a standing ovation."\nThe boats that did sail, however, dashed down the 50 meters. In the first heat, www.UniversityVolunteers.org surpassed last year's record time of 42.6 seconds. Outdoor Adventures Hellbenders outdid that short-lived record in a subsequent heat, only to be shut out by Grand Pappies in the final heat. However, it wasn't until the championship heat, consisting of the six boats with fastest times, that the Hellbenders blew the competition away, setting a new and final record of a mere 25.35 seconds. \n"We're going to paddle hard, stay above water and just keep going," Hellbender co-captain and junior Matthew Lattis said before winning the first place trophy. Global Sales Leadership Club and Grand Pappies took home second and third prizes, respectively.\nThe opposition was just as hot poolside during the "most creative" judging. The exterior of the boats varied in décor as much as they did in aerodynamics. Alpha Kappa Psinkers sailed an elephant named Bessie and the Student Alumni Association constructed a cross between Frank-the-Tank and Jaws.\nWillkie Wonders' Banana Boat took home third for second consecutive year. Grand Pappies' pirate ship won second, also for their second year. But Read Center caught the judges attention with their Viking ship and won first place. \nThe ship bore the name Hraesveig Farnagerd, meaning "corpse-swallowing cargo god." Co-captain and junior Clay Goad explained the choice while slicing a cardboard sword in the air. \n"We're going to destroy all other boats," he said. "We need the village, we need the plunder! That's our motivation." \nEach team brought its own motivations for entering. \n"It's fun to see the other organizations' boats and get together for friendly competition, but also we're pretty much going to kick some ass," said Adam Basey, public relations director for SAA.\nThe Grand Pappies were also motivated by victory. Complete with a duct tape flag, mast, Jolly Roger, stern and swords, the pirate ship was manned by two ex-students returning to defend their title. \n"I want to thank the fans," said Mark Bland behind a curly faux beard. "It's a good reason to come back. This is our homecoming."\nFor independent onlookers and fans, the regatta provided music, free food and raffle prizes. Though the event was free, each team was asked to donate $20. CASL will spend the proceeds on leadership scholarships.\nStudents were not the only participants. Twelve-year-old Matt Parmenter as the Skipper and 9-year-old Taylor Hoke as Gilligan floated a replica of the S.S. Minnow, which fell to the same fate as its predecessor. However, even with its junior captains, the boat floated the longest among the exhibition heat.\n"We thought we'd be a perfect match as the Skipper and Gilligan," Parmenter said.\nFriday seemed filled with perfect matches. The fall sunshine and amusing atmosphere brought students from all backgrounds. \n"All of CASL was psyched to see such a large turnout for the race day," Shultz said. "Our marketing efforts throughout September had truly come together. The cardboard boat regatta is sure to be a lasting event at IU for years to come"