New tailgating policy not enforced for 1st game

IUPD makes only 6 arrests; small crowds cause minimal trouble

Six people were arrested Saturday afternoon in Memorial Stadium's red lot after the start of the football game, but none were arrested for refusal to follow IU's new tailgating policy, according to the IU Police Department.\nSgt. Don Schmuhl said IUPD did not enforce the new policy, citing it would rather have individuals voluntarily comply. \nIUPD said it will not enforce the policy until they are directed to by the athletics department. IU Athletics Director for Game Management Kit Klingelhoffer could not be reached for comment.\nAfter kickoff, Schmuhl said two fights broke out, in which two people were arrested. Three people were arrested for public intoxication and one man was arrested for pouring beer onto a sheriff's car.\n"There was fairly light activity," Lt. Jerry Minger said. \nIUPD did not ask anyone to leave the parking lot after the game started.\nSchmuhl recognized there were fewer people at Saturday's game than at other games in the past. He said there is a need to enforce the policy, especially when more people attend.\n"If it continues to be a problem, then it's possible we may start enforcing it, but it's too early to tell yet," Schmuhl said. "As of right now, as far as I know, it's just a voluntary compliance request. If bigger crowds gather, and people don't go in, we'll have to look at something."\nSchmuhl said some people did leave the tailgating facility and enter the stadium, but most people on the northern part of the red lot didn't go into the stadium. That's where Schmuhl said IUPD had its problems.\nIn the future, he hopes they can help avoid those situations.\n"Any time you have acts of violence it's a problem," Schmuhl said. "Probably those people that have caused a problem, if they're not arrested, they'll be ejected. The people who are providing the alcohol to where the problem started will be told the party's over and will be told to leave the area."\nFreshman Erin Sweeney was glad IUPD didn't enforce the tailgating policy.\n"Well if people want to tailgate, then they should be allowed to tailgate," Sweeney said. \nShe said she is OK with the guidelines if IUPD doesn't remove people from the lots, but she admitted people are unlikely to follow the policy.\nAccording to the athletics department, pamphlets would be distributed to individuals in the parking lots, most people who walked to the lots were not given pamphlets.\nNext weekend, IU will host Kentucky, a rivalry game that drew 65,532 fans to Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky., last season.