IU grads sing in opera series for non-profit group

The John Waldron Arts Center kicked off its a year-long lineup of musical and theatrical events Friday with the musical "How to Break a Leg: A Diva's Guide to Success." \nTo jumpstart the center's "Performance Series" season, the Bloomington Area Arts Council sponsored the play, written by Eric McCarthy Holmes, as a benefit fund-raiser. \n"The BAAC is a non-profit association," said Diana Corrigan, development director in marketing, who helped raise funds for the event. "It takes a lot to turn on the lights."\nThe play, composed of only seven cast members, was performed both Friday and Saturday nights. The opening night performances sold out and people were turned away at the door. \nThe play's leading roles were performed by three graduates of the IU School of Music: Rebecca Keith, Melissa Korzec-Hillman and Caroline Dowd-Higgins. They had the concept to collaborate on a new project after working together in "Pollen," a musical that ran at the Buskirk-Chumley. \n"Ever since 'Pollen,' we became closer friends and wanted to do a show together, so we decided to meet with a playwright," Korzec-Hillman said.\nHiggins added that meeting with a playwright gave their performance drama -- that something extra they wanted to add.\n"We wanted it to be more than a stand and sing concert," he said.\nThe group went through the series's juried application process, where their concept was accepted. And so began the yearlong journey of preparation to the performance. \nSaturday night's audience viewed a small, spotlighted stage decorated with artistic elements such as tables by local Bella Bella artist Lara Moore, and wall-hung paintings. Stage left was a baby grand piano and bass, which were successfully woven into the storyline of the play. \nPianist Bob Williams had small sarcastic, yet comedic punch lines in the script, while bass player Jeremy Allen plucked along in rhythmic time, creating a feel-good jazz undertone throughout the play. \nThe music chosen to accompany the show consisted of familiar tunes from other various musicals, which provided a degree of familiarity for viewers. "Stars and Moon," from the musical "Songs for a New World," was a show-stopper performed by Korzec-Hillman. The ever-popular "I Could Have Danced All Night" from "My Fair Lady" was preformed by Caroline Dowd-Higgins, who delivered the piece with a Julie Andrews sound and a Samantha from "Sex in the City" attitude. Finally, "I Want to be a Prima Donna," from "The Enchantress," was sung by the softer yet steadier voice of Rebecca Keith. \nAfter the show, IU sophomore LaToya Edwards said she enjoyed the event.\n"I don't normally attend events like this, but the title grabbed my attention because I feel I am a diva," she said.\nEdwards, who enjoys attending musical events, said that she was disappointed to see a lack of attendance from IU students.\n"I would encourage other college students to open up their minds and broaden their horizons to the different events that go on outside of campus," she said. \nStudents who attend the Performance Series events usually receive student discounts, however the John Waldron Arts Center's exhibits are free of charge. For more information, visit http://www.artlives.org or call the the arts center at \n334-3100.