Heavy in the heartland

Indiana among top 10 heaviest states

Indiana is ranked the ninth fattest state in the nation with an adult obesity rate of 25.2 percent, and placed eighth in the nation with 61.7 percent of adults obese or overweight, according to a Trust for America's Health report. \nThis report comes months after Gov. Mitch Daniels announced in his inaugural address the need "to raise a new bar in Indiana" with his statewide campaign INShape Indiana, which aims to lower the state's obesity rate.\nThe heaviest state, according to the report, is Mississippi and the least heavy is Colorado. \nDaniels is not the only public official who is inspired to get his constituents off the couch and out into the fresh air. Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan is actively participating in the INShape Indiana initiative by encouraging those who are willing to sign up for the program and get fit. \n"We consider and promote the health and well-being of our citizens in several ways, such as when setting budget priorities," Kruzan said. "We've increased city funding for trails projects, as well as parks and recreation facilities."\nKruzan noted the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department offers several hundred activity-related programs every year at its 34 parks and at facilities, including the skate park, two swimming pools, outdoor sports fields, indoor gym, playgrounds, basketball courts, trails and tennis courts.\nKruzan, who said he works out by letting his dogs "walk him" everyday, said the city is sponsoring the Hoosier Hills Bike Tour, and is working with other local community groups to assist in smoking cessation efforts.\nThe Web site set up to help Hoosiers get healthy, www.inshape.IN.gov, lists several healthy ideas when it comes to preparing food, tracks the progress of Hoosiers who are part of the program and even lists Daniels' personal workout schedule. Anyone can join the free program simply by creating a username and password. Julie Frey, program coordinator of the Adult Fitness Program at IU, said Indiana spent $1.6 billion on obesity-related health care from 1998-2000.\nPenny Caudill of the Monroe County Health Department said the department takes part in different events to get the citizens of Monroe County in shape, such as organizing general health and wellness activities. \nDaniels said in a statement that 26 percent of adults in Indiana report taking part in no regular physical activity, nearly 1.2 million Hoosiers smoke and about 78 percent of citizens consume too few servings of fruits and vegetables each day.