Health Center deals with meningitis prevention

Freshman still critical; ISU treats more than 200

The freshman who was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis over the weekend is still in critical condition at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, hospital officials confirmed Tuesday evening. \nIn the lounge on the first floor of Briscoe-Shoemaker Monday night, Dr. Rob Hongen, medical director of the IU Health Center, led an informational meeting to educate students who were worried about the disease after it was contracted by IU freshman Ashley Lee. At that meeting, 82 Cipro pills were given out to students. Cipro is an antibiotic used to decrease the chance of serious infection for those carrying the bacteria, were given out to students, said Hugh Jessop, director of the IUHC. About 150 people showed up to the meeting. \nJessop said about a dozen pills were handed out before the meeting, and students haven't had to wait more than 15 minutes to be seen.\nIU students are not the only ones in the college community who have come into close contact with Lee. Friday night at Indiana State University, Lee attended a party at the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, according to a statement from ISU. Dave Taylor, director of media relations at ISU, said health alerts were sent out to all faculty and staff. The health alert was also posted on a Web site students frequently visit for news about the ISU campus.\n"As of this afternoon, the student health center had distributed antibiotics to about 250 students," Taylor said. "Given estimates of approximately 200 students who attended the event, we feel we have successfully reached out to those in most need of the preventive treatment. There was very prompt response (after the posting of the health alert). About 10 to 15 minutes after that being posted, business really picked up at the health center."\nMeningococcal bacteria usually cannot live for more than a few minutes outside the body, according to the IU Health Center's Web site. The bacteria are usually not transmitted by routine contact where an infected individual has been. However, it can be transmitted through the direct exchange of respiratory and throat secretions, such as coughing and kissing or sharing unwashed eating utensils.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig was informed about Lee over the weekend and said the staff at Briscoe Quad and the health center have worked together very well to help students and to keep the student community informed.\n"Students have expressed their concern for Ashley's recovery," McKaig said. "They have sought out information about the illness and they have taken advantage of the health center services when they felt it necessary. When students register as new students, they receive information about meningitis and some opt to take the preventive vaccine."\nJessop said the last case of a student contracting meningitis he remembers was in the 1990s, and the student ended up dying from the disease.\n"We always worry about (other students contracting meningitis), but we've had a very good past history," Jessop said. "We've never had a second case and we hope that holds true in this case. A lot of that has to do with how fast you respond."\nStudents who believe they might be at risk of infections can visit the IU Health Center screening desk in room 216. The IUHC is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.