Have your 'Cake' and eat it too

"I'm not a gangster, I'm a businessman." So says Daniel Craig, a cocaine dealer and middleman caught up in the British underworld, who has no name other than "XXXX" as listed in the credits. XXXX wants out of the organized crime world, but as to be expected, saying you want out and getting out are two vastly different things. Such is the story of "Layer Cake," the directorial debut from Matthew Vaughn, who produced the worthwhile Guy Ritchie films "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."\nSo XXXX wants out of the business because he's got plenty of money stored away and wants nothing to do with drugs or criminal drama. Unfortunately for XXXX, he just makes too much money for his superiors and is assigned the task of locating the kidnapped daughter of one Eddie Temple (Michael Gambon). Add on the trouble of dealing with extremely unprofessional drug dealers and an ecstasy shipment stolen from professional drug lords, it all begins to resonate with the classic Michael Corleone phrase: "Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back in."\nOne thing is certain with "Layer Cake," it possesses plenty of style. Matthew Vaughn has no problem using helicopters for graceful shots, unique camera angles and just the right amount of 360-degree camera spins as to not overdo the effect. His style is also much darker than previous Brit gangter flicks as the humor is black and violence at times unsettling. Watching faces get bashed in and using an iron to boil a man's heart are guaranteed to make you cringe, but watching crosshairs rest on a baby carriage just might make you laugh. I did both. \nThe cast succeeds as well. Daniel Craig turns in an incredibly convincing performance as a "businessman" and he is extremely likeable and respectable. Craig's cohorts Monty and Gene, George Harris and Colm Meaney respectively, prove to be coldhearted at times while humorous at other points. Sienna Miller plays Craig's love interest Tammy and has sex appeal written all over her. But the best performance next to Craig's is that of Michael Gambon. His old gangster ways and intimidating demeanor are the perfect polar opposite to Craig's new school approach of the business.\nThe real problem with "Layer Cake" is its pacing and plot. At times the film seems to be going too slow and yet is still under the two-hour mark. The plot is burdened with Craig's character taking on almost too much of a workload. Trafficking drugs, hunting down a missing daughter, dealing with other criminals and double-crosses all seems a bit heavy. Had the entire missing daughter assignment been cut out, the film would be a bit easier to digest. Thankfully through, all this mix you won't be needing to use your Cockney slang dictionary often. \nRepeated viewings are sure to guarantee more appreciation and understanding of the film (the DVD drops Aug. 23) since there is a lot to like about "Layer Cake." It is only plagued by small problems and overall is an enjoyable ride. And for being the directorial debut of Vaughn, it is a damn good effort from a man I'm sure will continue to impress movie-goers down the line.