Summer Lilly Library exhibit features pop-up books for all ages

Display shows movable books not just for kids

There is something magical happening in the IU Lilly Library this summer. We all remember them from our childhood. They were what made books and reading fun and exciting. Pictures were suddenly coming to life right off the page.\nYet before these books were ever beloved by children, Becky Cape, head of teference and public services at the library, reminds us that they were once something for all ages to enjoy. Additionally, Cape explained that even more now these fascinating books are not exclusively for children. Running now through Aug. 27, the Lilly Library is presenting their collection "Not Just for Children: Pop-up and Movable Books."\nThe collection, which first went up last week, is an interesting display of books starting from the 15th century all the way through the 21st century. The exhibit includes a wide variety of examples from each period, as well. Books are presented in glass for protection, but the separation does not hide the impressive craftwork that these books involve.\nExtremely intricate, the exhibit does a fine job of presenting the displays so that guests can experience the books' remarkable proportions. An employee of the Lilly Library, Rebecca Baumann, shares her outlook on the unique exhibit.\n"It's a little more visual and colorful, and unlike our other exhibits," she said.\nBooks gathered for the collection came almost entirely from in-house collections, according to Cape.\nA few years ago, the library had an exhibition of works by John Strejan. Strejan, known for his paper engineering, passed away in 2003, but in his memorable career he was known for projects such as "Sailing Ships," "The Facts of Life" and "Choo-Choo Charlie." Along with the library's collection of Strejan's works, this summer's exhibit is a combination of a large portion of their children's books and a recent purchase of Compass Productions.\nYet, along with the display of the pop-up and movable books we recognize from childhood, the exhibit also presents a display that even the grown-ups will find intriguing. There are displays ranging from pop-up books of the Royal Family and The Beatles in the library's main room to the Lincoln Room where visitors can find movable books used in understanding mechanics, as well as examples of 20th century creations of artists' books. An invention that has been known for years as something just for kids, these books add a new dimension to how books and humans interact. \nIn the end, Cape puts it simply, "They're fun. Everybody loves pop-up books!"\nAnyone can catch a glimpse of the fun at the IU Lilly Library this summer by taking a look at this free event. It's not just for children, so everyone can have a little fun.\nFor more information and library hours, check out www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/.