'Jules': France's finest film

Peter Stevenson

The French New Wave movement is a period of filmmaking that many have a love/hate relationship toward. They are films that are either entertaining or confusing and occasionally a mixture of both. There are two big name directors that embody this movement and they are Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut. Where Godard's work is more experimental in nature, Truffaut aimed at telling stories while keeping the substance heavy in his work. With "Jules and Jim," Truffaut matches the same charm and wit found in his other classic works such as "The 400 Blows" and "Shoot the Piano Player." \nBased on a novel by Henri-Pierre Roché, "Jules and Jim" is a tale of two friends, Jules (Oscar Werner) and Jim (Henri Serre), whose exploits around early 20th century Paris leads them to fall for the crazy yet captivating Catherine (Jeanne Moreau). Unfortunately for Jim, Catherine only loves Jules and winds up marrying him. To make matters worse, both men find themselves soon fighting against each other in World War I as Jules is forced to side with his native Austria against Jim the Frenchman. The war ends, both men still alive, and they meet once again where this time Catherine finds herself falling for Jim. Thus a love triangle is formed as the men politely try to address the situation when it is Catherine who is truly in control of the both of them. \nI wouldn't be lying by making the statement that "Jules and Jim" is the finest French film I've seen so far in my life. Considering that Truffaut is my favorite French director next to the legendary Jean Renoir ("The Rules of the Game," "The Grand Illusion"), Truffaut creates a wonderful love story centered around three individuals over 25 years from teenage tomfoolery to the midlife marriage crisis. It is a film that is playful, poetic and even poignant at times and overall very rewarding. \nYou'd be surprised how many extras there are on this two-disc set which includes two commentary tracks, one showcasing Jeanne Moreau and while the other contains co-writer Jean Gruault and many others. There are two featurettes dealing with Roché's novel in regards to how the story came together and Truffaut's own opinion of the material. There are video interviews with Gruault and cinematographer Raoul Coutard and so much archival footage of Truffaut from various programs that you get a complete look at the man and his film. Of special note, there is one segment that not only interviews Truffaut and Moreau about "Jules and Jim," but also speaks to Jean Renoir about how he feels Truffaut changed cinema. It is simply fascinating to see one great director discuss the work of a young man who was once writing about films until he began making them. The set is rounded out with a 44-page booklet complete with essays, reviews and a collection of Truffaut's own writings. \nWhile Truffaut's life would come to an end at the early age of 52, his work is a wonderful experience to behold as he went from film criticism to film craftsmanship. His films capture France in a way that not even Jean-Pierre Jeunet has matched yet. Since it seems as if everyone nowadays has seen Jeunet's "Amélie," I recommend giving "Jules and Jim" a chance. You'll see where the magic really started and hopefully find yourself fascinated by not only France's finest filmmaker, but their finest film to date.