'Major Taylor' review held back

Nelms asks officials to tie up loose ends

Charlie Nelms sent a University review of The Major Taylor Foundation back to its authors for revisions.\nNelms, IU's vice president for student development and diversity, said in an e-mail message he asked Dean of Students Richard McKaig and IU Vice Chancellor Edwardo Rhodes to prepare a new draft of their review for Nelms' meeting with IU-Bloomington Interim Chancellor Ken Gros Louis next week. Nelms deferred any other comments until after he receives the final report.\nThe University investigation began in November when three former Little 500 riders on Team Major Taylor, in a letter to IU officials, detailed complaints regarding scholarships they said they received to ride in the race. McKaig said the three riders were Julio German, Dante Pryor and Rahsaan Bahati. Chris Scott, another former Team Major Taylor rider, detailed similar complaints in an April 28 Indiana Daily Student article.\nMcKaig said he and Rhodes are finishing the review, which comprises interviews with riders, Major Taylor Foundation board members and Major Taylor Foundation President Courtney Bishop.\nNelms told the officials to tie up loose ends during a May 3 meeting, McKaig said.\nMcKaig said he and Rhodes were going to "get it done quickly."\n"Next week would be a logical time," he said.