'Kinsey' hits DVD; IU error remains

Students who have long awaited the arrival of the DVD "Kinsey" might be surprised to learn that the film still credits the "University of Indiana" instead of IU.

Students who have long awaited the arrival of the DVD "Kinsey" might be surprised to learn that the film still credits the "University of Indiana" instead of IU.\nOscar-winning writer/director Bill Condon apologized for this mistake when he attended the special premiere of the movie in November at the IU Auditorium. He promised then the credits would be fixed when the movie went to widespread audiences.\nLarry MacIntyre, IU's director of media relations, said the mistake is unfortunate but certainly not intended.\n"We would wish he made the change and I know Bill (Condon) was very sincere in wanting to change the credits," he said. "It was probably just an oversight."\nDespite not making the correction, IU's campus is featured in the documentary portion of the double-disc DVD. Released on Tuesday, there are two different versions of the DVD. The two-disc set, in addition to containing a commentary by Condon, 20 deleted scenes and a gag reel, also features three supplements directly related to the Kinsey Institute.\nThe first, a documentary titled "The Kinsey Report: Sex on Film," covers the beginnings of the production process all the way up to the premiere hosted on the IU campus. "Sex Ed. at The Kinsey Institute" is a short featurette with Kinsey Institute curator Catherine Johnson-Roehr which showcases some of the sexual artwork and artifacts contained in the museum. \nThere is also an "Interactive Sex Questionnaire," developed by Kinsey Institute research scientist Erick Janssen, which allows the viewer to answer sexual history questions similar to those asked by Kinsey's research assistants in the film.\nJennifer Bass, head of information services at the Kinsey Institute, said she was pleased the institute was so involved with the DVD. \n"It was such a great opportunity for us to get out information about the current Kinsey Institute and give viewers an introduction to us here at IU," Bass said. "We're very pleased with the documentary and all the special features associated with the Institute on the DVD release." \nBass said she didn't know about "University of Indiana" remaining in the credits.\nThe biopic, which tells the story of IU professor and human sexuality research pioneer Alfred C. Kinsey, was released in theaters nationwide in late November 2004. The film, however, had been in pre-production stages as early as 2000.\nJoshua Corum, a junior majoring in human sexuality and psychology, said he enjoyed the movie and thought it helped attract attention to the subject.\n"I thought ("Kinsey") was great, however, I don't think it got enough press or praise," said. "Sex research has been a controversial subject. I felt this movie helped shed some light on the level of professionalism, maturity and open-mindedness it takes to do such research."\nThe film, which cast Oscar nominees Liam Neeson ("Schindler's List") as Alfred Kinsey and Laura Linney ("You Can Count on Me") as his wife Clara, details the life of the Kinsey Institute's founding figurehead from his early childhood, his collection research of gall wasps and finally his interest in human sexuality which lead to the publication of "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male" in 1948. IU held a special premiere of the film to coincide with the release on Nov. 13, 2004, where Linney and Condon made a special appearance. \nAt the premiere, Condon told the audience, "I know when Dr. Kinsey became famous he was once asked 'what about a Hollywood picture based on your life?' And he said 'I can't think of anything more pointless.' So here we are!"\nWhen awards season came about, "Kinsey" received three Golden Globe nominations (Best Picture -- Drama; Best Performance by an Actor -- Neeson; Best Performance by a Supporting Actress -- Linney). Linney also received an Academy Award nomination for her performance.