Indianapolis meet may mean a state title

The Hoosiers have a chance to claim their first state title, when they face Notre Dame, Purdue and Butler tomorrow for the Indiana Cup on Eagle Creek in Indianapolis. In a separate contest, IU also will take on the Irish and Louisville. \nThe Indiana Cup entitles rowers on the winning team in this uncelebrated sport to stand tiptoe on any misty morning wherever they want -- all around the Hoosier State, that is. \n"Yeah, it's for bragging rights, mostly," said IU coach Steve Peterson. "But beating a good opponent is what we're looking to do. The Indiana State Championship just gives it a title."\nThe chance to place the Indiana Cup in Assembly Hall is more likely than ever. IU's Varsity 8 crew already has topped its two in-state rivals. They outdid the Irish at the Head of the Elk last fall, tying Purdue for a bronze medal. This spring, on its way to a school-record 7-0, IU's top boat defeated the Boilermakers by nearly 15 seconds at the Clemson Challenge. \nAlthough Notre Dame began the season ranked 20th, it has dropped out of sport's leading poll and is not awakening any echoes. Purdue, a reputable club team with a heritage, is lukewarm. The Varsity 8 finished fifth in a five-boat race at the San Diego Crew Classic last week. Butler, another club team, is not considered a major challenger. \nThe task for IU will be lining up for a second race, something it has not done in one day. After the state title tilt in the morning, the Hoosiers will contend with the Irish and Louisville in the afternoon. \nRacing twice a day is a format that Peterson wants his team to experience. It has to be able to go faster in the afternoon in post-season championship races, which require two races a day. The Hoosiers are not concerned. \n"This is good for us to do early in the season," said sophomore Stacey Young. "We have to see how we handle it because we'll have to race twice in the Big Ten Championship and the South Central Region Sprints."\nFacing the Irish twice always makes the day noteworthy. On top of that, Louisville has been in tight races with ranked teams this season, getting edged at the finish by Minnesota and Tennessee. Louisville also will be better rested when it opposes the Hoosiers. Peterson said the Cardinals will "have an easier race (against the Ohio State club team) in the morning." \nBut Peterson recognizes that the event schedule "sets us up for a great day of racing" and knows that "it will be our first real test of speed."\nCheerful to be pulling oars in shorts and T-shirts, the Hoosiers appear primed, especially with the cancellation of last week's regatta. For sophomore Dana Powell, a Louisville resident who rows in the bow of the Varsity 8, there is no question that the readiness is all she needs. \n"I hate U of L more than any other team," said Powell, with an unabashed smile. "I want to beat them. I want to beat Notre Dame. I want to beat all of them."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Bill Meehan at wmeehan@indiana.edu.