Saturday, June 15

Wilson leads fleet of 5 Hoosiers to NCAAs

Sean Jefferson eyes a repeat title; brother John sees triumphant return

Typically, an NCAA title is won by a team with a large number of athletes entered in various events, including relays. Every once in awhile, a team comes along with the potential to win on the strength of just a few athletes. \nThis year, the Hoosiers are that team. With just five athletes entered, IU is one of four teams with a chance to take this year's team title.\nIU's most formidable threat at the meet is junior All-American Aarik Wilson, whose banner year has established him as the nation's premier long and triple jumper. He sits comfortably atop the collegiate rankings in both events, holds both IU school records and will return to the site of his 2003 runner-up triple jump finish with hopes of taking home his first national title. \n"My goal is to win. Win the long jump, the triple jump and the team title," said Wilson, who could potentially score twenty points himself. "The entire season has been geared to be ready to jump far at the big meets, and I want to put jumps out there that won't be forgotten."\nWilson has certainly lived up to his end of the bargain, taking two wins at the Big Ten Championships en route to setting a new personal best and long jump school record. He will look to twins Sean and John Jefferson, sophomore David Neville and junior Stephen Haas to fortify IU's chances at a team title.\nIn 2004, Sean Jefferson took a runaway victory in the mile, winning in 4:00.18. This year he led his brother John -- 2003 runner-up in the mile -- to their first sub-four minute miles, 3:56 and 3:57 respectively. Despite being reigning champion, Sean's task will be more difficult: he will have to contend with both his own brother and Olympian Nick Willis of Michigan, who Sean beat by only one-hundredth of a second at Big Ten. \n"Big Tens prepped me nicely for the NCAAs, because I got to work on my closing speed," Sean said. "I know that I am in great shape right now and I am feeling pretty fit. If I run to my ability and get beat, there's nothing I can do about that -- and I will definitely run to my ability. I think I can win another title."\nHaas will make his first appearance at NCAAs, running both the 3,000 and 5,000-meters, where he is nationally ranked 2nd and 5th. After lying low and running only one event at Big Tens, Haas will be fresh and ready.\nNeville will run only the 200-meter, a vast reprieve for most championship meets where he pulls double or even triple duty.\n"I have been more rested this year than last, so I think the rest has made me fresher to run at NCAAs," Neville said. "I would love to place in the top five or three, but I'll just leave that up to God."\n-- Contact staff writer Rob \nDeWite at rdewitte@indiana.edu.