Saturday, June 15

Manson matron-named band not killer

Loud-mouthed limeys should focus on tunes

Jay Seawell

Leicester, England-based band Kasabian is the latest in a long string of U.K. rock bands making waves on their home soil (to the tune of a top five record), now looking to take the U.S. by storm. They certainly seem to have the tools for doing so in order. \nFirst, the band's name is shocking and/or bizzare as they're tagged after Linda Kasabian, one-time wheelwoman to the Manson Family-turned-key state witness. \nSecondly, they aren't original in the least. These dudes boast the sound of the Stone Roses and the swagger of Oasis. Lead singer Tom Meighan talks shit like an unofficial Gallagher brother, famously referring to Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas as a "posh fucking skier" in the pages of Britain's New Music Express -- this, in spite of sounding something akin to Neu!. While talented, Kasabian need to add up to more than the sum of their myriad influences (which also include, but are not limited to, DJ Shadow, Happy Mondays and Primal Scream) before flapping off at the gums. Their self-titled debut gives them a smidgen of ammo to do so, but it's more akin to the rations of a six-shooter than an M-16.\nThe album, culled from the band's most popular singles, opens admirably with the triumphant trio of "Club Foot," "Processed Beats" and "Reason Is Treason." The first comes on like Oasis' "Fuckin' in the Bushes" with a rip-roaring riff segueing into a heady, hooky bit of trance. "Processed Beats" boasts anything but and "Treason" is such a propulsive club-banger that it could get someone with two left feet dancing like John Travolta. Though, I could swear they sampled Lenny Kravitz's oft-heard "Lady" jingle from the Gap TV ads in the latter of the bunch.\nMuch of what remains on the rest of the record resembles filler, with exceptions being "L.S.F. (Lost Souls Forever)" "Test Transmission" and "Cutt Off." These numbers successfully bridge the gap between garage rock and house much like their forebears. "Running Battle" sounds like the ramblings of Jamiroquai's little brother, and the tunes unfortunate enough not to have vocals accompanying them (the ridiculously-titled "Ovary Stripe" for one) might as well be leftovers from a Basement Jaxx album. If that's not enough, Kasabian's closer "U Boat" sounds like the ugly, musical love child of Travis and Moby -- two artists OK on their own, but not together. After a long lapse, listeners are greeted by the bonus track, an insanely sped up remix of "Treason," sounding like the crap Orgy doled out in their late '90s heyday.\nIt's apparent that Kasabian have talent as evidenced by the brighter spots on this self-titled record. Now, if only they could find their own voice.