Law school to court minorities

Event guides IU students through application process

Since the early 1990s, IU has joined the efforts of numerous law schools throughout the country in recognizing National Law Student Recruitment Month. Those efforts continue with the IU Minority Law Day Program for minority students interested in studying law. The free program will be held 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the IU Law School.\nThe program focuses on giving minority students an early start and a better means of preparation for law school by providing Q&A opportunities with practicing lawyers, financial aid and placement counselors, law professors and admissions officers. \n"It prepares them in advance, because applying for law school is such a complicated process," said Dani Weatherford, associate director of Admissions at the IU School of Law.\nWeatherford said panel sessions will address several important topics. One session will include IU alumni discussing what the actual workplace is like and how to go about the job search. Another session includes current law students who will discuss classes and the workload in law school. \nFrank Motley, former dean and current associate vice chancellor, will talk about preparing for the LSAT. \nIU School of Law Professor Don Gjerdingen, plans to speak to students in his panel session about preparing personal statements, which is required by most law schools. \n"We had 3,000 applications last year for a class of about 200," said Gjerdingen. "I've been on the admissions committee for many years and read thousands of personal statements, so I know what works and what doesn't." \nMegan Lewis, a first year law student at IU, will be going to the program for the first time this year. Although Lewis has already been admitted into law school, she said her main reason for attending this year would be to show support for the event. Lewis also noted that the program offers opportunities for current law students.\n"The luncheon is networking opportunity," said Lewis. "It'll give me a chance to meet with firms around town and make good contacts." \nWeatherford said while the program is open to the public, students who pre-register are provided with lunch and some preparatory materials for the program. Interested students can still pre-register for the program today. Students can call 855-4765 e-mail lawadmis@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact Staff Writer at Kye Lee at kyelee@indian.edu.