Production examines female sexuality

More than 90 women audition for 'Vagina Monologues'

Margaret Goodwin performed the monologue "My Angry Vagina" Thursday night.\n"My vagina is furious and it needs to talk!" she said to the audience.\nGoodwin mocked many vagina practices like thong underwear and a gynecologist's sterile bedside manner during the monologue.\nFor the sixth year in a row, actresses delivered "The Vagina Monologues" at IU. The Women's Student Association presented the show in conjunction with the V-Day Bloomington College Campaign.\nThe Monologues' proceeds benefited Middle Way House; RAISE, a group raising awareness about female violence and safety; and the V-Day movement, which supports various women's causes. The show packed the Willkie Auditorium, turning some audience members away opening night. \n"It's one of those productions where you're not sure if you should laugh," said director Jada B. "You look at the person next to you to know if it's OK, and if they're not big laughers, you might not laugh." \n"The Vagina Monologues" marked a debut for the director known locally as Jada B., 25, a recent Indiana University graduate in telecommunications and theatre and drama. \nBefore the Monologues, her directing experience included class work and her involvement in a local creative base group that presents poetry and musical productions. Jada B. and "The Vagina Monologues" found each other through the Women's Student Association. \nCo-director Jen Gross, a sophomore majoring in art education, and Jada B. auditioned over 90 women for the performance. Even one confused man came to audition. He mistakenly believed there was a male part. Jada B. said this huge turnout was not only unexpected but practically unheard of on college campuses. \n"Usually they're begging people to be in the show," Jada. B. said.\nFrom those 90, Jada B. and Gross selected the "Vagina Warriors," the actresses ranging in age from 17-35, who delivered the monologues. Gross also performed in several monologues, completing the 17-member cast. \n"The Vagina Monologues" are based on interviews with over 200 women. Interviewers asked women of all ages (literally from children to elderly) what they thought about their vaginas: what their vaginas would wear, what their vaginas smelled like, what their vaginas would say and what other experiences involved their vaginas. \n"The Vagina Monologues" aims to spread awareness about not only women's bodies but female violence worldwide. While these monologues include menstruation choruses and sex moans, a few of the monologues conjure images of rape, female circumcision and abuse. \n"I first saw 'The Vagina Monologues' in Chicago with my mom, dad, girlfriend and little brother," said IU senior Dustin Henderlong who was in the audience opening night. "I like funny things about vaginas, not necessarily faces getting melted off. But you know: that's part of it."\nJada B. said her male friends often express their gratitude for their new-found knowledge about vaginas. She said this kind of understanding breeds kindness and better female/male relationships.\n"If you know how something works you tend not to abuse it," Jada B. said. "(For example) if you know how your car works, you're more likely to change the oil." \nSome audience members attend "The Vagina Monologues" out of curiosity. \n"This is my first time seeing it and I love it," said freshman Kersten Kelly during the show's intermission, "My favorite part was definitely the angry vagina because everything she said has definitely gone through a woman's mind and she was so blunt about it." \n-- Contact Staff Writer Katyln Von Rohr at kvonrohr@indiana.edu.