Kelley School career services say salaries, hiring increasing

Students in suits roaming the halls of the Kelley School of Business are a familiar sight -- particularly during the fall recruiting season when companies from all over the country come to interview IU students looking for full-time employment after graduation. \nIn the past, students had to contend with a difficult job market, facing stiff competition for interviews and placement. That sluggish job market is no more, said Mark Brostoff, associate director of Undergraduate Career Services at the business school. \n"We are currently seeing an increase in hiring in all majors," he said. "We have also seen a current increase in new hire's salaries. Last year the average salary of new graduates from IU was $42,231; this year, the currently reported average salary has increased to $46,223."\nThe recent upturn in the economy coupled with a rosier outlook for the next year have contributed to the increase in hiring of recent college graduates.\nTo assist IU business students with their interview process, the Undergraduate Career Services Office has a full range of services such as helping them find a job when they graduate and providing seniors with the opportunity to interview with hundreds of companies that have recruiting relationships with IU.\n"We work with recruiters and have a constant contact," Brostoff said. "We do a lot to build relationships. Over 300 companies interview students on campus, and an additional 400 to 500 companies post positions on our job postings Web site." \nAmong the companies with recruiting relationships with IU are widely recognized names in manufacturing, financial services, consumer products and consulting. From Ford Motor Company, General Electric and other Fortune 500 companies to major accounting firms, students have a wide variety of companies with which to interview. The UCSO has also built relationships with investment banks and other highly sought after companies to work for. \nStudents whom the UCSO helps to employ do not let these services go unappreciated.\n"I was thrilled and surprised with the quality and quantity of companies recruiting at Kelley," said senior Camille Constantin. "I interviewed with almost 40 highly regarded companies this year and was so impressed with the UCSO's efforts to recruit the best from around the country."\nStudents are not the only ones who leave the UCSO impressed, Brostoff said. Recruiters continue to return because of the caliber of students.\n"IU has a large, highly regarded talent pool," said Brostoff. "Our students are rated quite high with preparation for interviews and work experience, and the success of past students at the companies has made them eager to recruit at IU again."\nParts of the preparation for Kelley students seeking jobs at the UCSO are the two mandatory career education classes, X220 and X420. In these courses, professors expose students to different career paths, companies and recruiters.\nSenior Ashley Groth used the career courses to help her prepare for interviewing. \n"The Kelley School of Business has done a great job preparing students for interviews, creating resumes and writing cover letters through X220 and X420," she said. \nThe recruiting season for seniors seeking full-time employment varies depending on the field they are going into, Brostoff said. While accounting and finance firms have started or completed their recruiting, most marketing and management recruiters will be on campus from now until the spring.\nBrostoff said that many companies come to interview in the second semester because they consider fourth quarter earnings reports when making hiring decisions for the next year.\nRegardless of when students are interviewing for their positions, it is important to be actively involved in the process, attending company presentations and contacting recruiters to learn more about positions. \n"You have to start early," said senior Adam Betz. "I know I wish that I had gone to more company presentations before I was a senior. I think it would have made my life a lot easier if I already knew what the companies were looking for and the type of positions they offered." \n-- Contact Staff Writer Brittany Ausmus at bausmus@indiana.edu .