Saturday, June 15

Finish line in sight as Big Tens kick off

Flock of stars highlight every area of competition for IU

When an IU track and field athlete looks back at his career, only two indoor meets matter -- the Big Ten Championships and the NCAA Championships. \nTwo weekends. Two chances for an athlete to leave his mark. \nThis weekend, IU travels to Purdue University for its first chance -- the Big Ten Championships. This year the Hoosiers have their first real chance to bring home a Big Ten title in more than a decade. \n"The last time this team won the Big Ten, these kids were in third grade," said IU coach Randy Heisler. "The guys are excited; they're anxious."\nLeading the charge for IU's big points is junior Aarik Wilson, considered the front-runner in both the long and triple jumps. Also topping the Big Ten ranks is sprinter David Neville, leading the conference in both the 200 and 400 meters.\n"I'm excited for what the team can do," Neville said. "We've got a good group and we've been training really hard."\nIn the throwing events, junior Ryan Ketchum and senior Wil Fleming are prepared to challenge the Big Ten's best, as they have both provisionally qualified for NCAAs. \n"I'll need to throw farther at Big Tens to get into NCAAs, but I'm ready for it," Fleming said.\nThis year presents IU with a number of serious distance challengers as well. The emergence of junior Stephen Haas, who has broken two of IU's most hallowed school records in the past three weeks, bolsters an already potent IU distance contingent.\n"Right now, don't go near Stephen with sharp objects," Heisler said. "I mean, he's in a bubble right now, we just need to keep riding him."\nHaas will run a leg on the distance medley relay and will be waiting in the wings should the team need him to race in the 5,000 meters. \nJunior All-Americans Sean and John Jefferson will both compete in the mile, looking for the first ever 1-2 finish for twins in the Big Ten.\n"We've been training for these three weeks since cross country ended," said Sean Jefferson, who finished second in the mile last year. \nIn the final practice before leaving for West Lafayette, the athletes ranged in demeanor from relaxed to nervous. Some even feared letting their teammates down, a sure sign that the team is gearing up for a serious battle in which all will depend on each other.\n"The anxiety is good," Heisler said. "Fear's great, fear's useful. If you know how to harness it, fear is a very powerful, driving emotion."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Rob \nDeWitte at rdewitte@indiana.edu.