'Diaries' paints portrait of Guevara

We recognize him from the red posters and his star embroidered beret. We have studied him in our history and Spanish classes. And to some, he is the symbol of rebellion and the enticing passion of revolution. Yet, before Che Guevara became the social revolutionist we have all come to know and love, he was Ernesto Guevara. In the film "The Motorcycle Diaries," we are introduced to Guevara when he was a young Argentinean medical student with no real plans for the future. Based on true stories found in Guevara's memoirs, "The Motorcycle Diaries" is about the journey of two men who changed the way they saw the world and who they would become. \nErnesto "Che" Guevara (Gael García Bernal of "Y Tu Mamá También") and his good friend Alberto Granado (Rodrigo De la Serna) set out on a road trip with hope of great adventures through South America. With only a couple bags, the two friends take off on their not-so-trusty motorcycle, "The Mighty One," for a journey that starts out as a carefree excursion and becomes an eye-opening realization. Directed by Walter Salles, the film follows the men and explores the various stops along the way. While exploring the beautiful landscapes of South America, the two men also become aware of the ugly problems facing the poor. Thus, the film is an exploration into the heart of a man and the people that ask for his help. \nThe film is filled with thoughtful cinematography that highlights the colorful landscapes of South America, which is accented by an equally comparable musical score. Salles does not overwhelm the audience with pointless landscape shots. Each helps in the creation and development of the characters. Bernal's performance as the young Guevara is also remarkable. His acting has a subtlety that brings truthfulness to the role. De la Serna gives a heartfelt and lovable performance as Guevara's comical friend Alberto. \nThe DVD features are a perfect addition to the film. It offers intriguing deleted scenes, a making-of documentary, an interview with the real and still living Alberto Granado, two television interviews with Bernal and an interview with the film's composer Gustavo Santaolalla. Each feature takes a closer look at the filmmakers and Guevara. Alberto Granado's interview is adorable and filmed with a similar style to the film. \nIn the end, "The Motorcycle Diaries" is a compassionate film that offers great insight. It quietly affects the viewer and allows him to join Ernesto and Alberto on their journey. "The Motorcycle Diaries" is an inspiring chapter in the story of Che Guevara which everyone deserves to enjoy.